Landscaping

Old 03-17-08, 07:41 AM
Landscaping

I just redid some plants in my garden. I was fed up of the kids always getting dirty while playing outside and touching the mulch. I invested in rubber mulch around my greenery and i am so thrilled to bits. Its so nice to look at and keeps my kids clean while at play. Have any of you got this? Could you tell me how long the rubber mulch lasts?

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 08:09 AM
Theoretically rubber mulch will last forever, as it does not disintegrate. The pros for using rubber mulch exceed the cons. Folks who have a problem with rubber mulch tend to have difficulty using an artificial mulch in an organic landscape. Rubber mulch costs more than organic mulch. Rubber mulch comes in colors. Darker colors absorb heat and may take a toll on plants. If you purchased a colored rubber mulch, color will last about 5 years and total color loss at 10 years. Debris will collect in rubber mulch, but it can be blown out with leaf blower. Pine needles in rubber mulch, as with rock mulch, can be challenge.

Old 03-17-08, 08:45 AM
Rubber Mulch

Thank you so much

I am also looking into buying rubber mulch for my swing set to make my play area safer for the kids.
I did google rubber mulch and i came across a website called rubberecycle. They have information like you said that it is lifetime, thank you so much for your advise, I think i am gonna go for the brown/red color, that way it will match the wood on my rainbow swing set.

Old 03-17-08, 08:52 AM
Rubber mulch is great for playgrounds. It cushions children's falls and minimizes the number of boo-boos. The brown-red color would certainly look more natural than say the color blue.

Photo credit: Perfect Rubber Mulch

Old 03-18-08, 02:56 PM
Smile Rubber Mulch

Hi,

Last year we had bought 2 tons of rubber mulch from a web site that we found in yahoo i think the web page is actually called rubbermulch.com. We also bought rubber curbs so we do not lose all the mulch. We are very happy with it, it is great.

Old 03-18-08, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the rubber mulch is ideal for top dressing an unplanted area. Please don't try to use it in flower beds.

Old 03-18-08, 07:51 PM
Miss Connie, please explain why you would not recommend rubber mulch in flower beds.

Old 03-19-08, 02:10 AM
Flower beds require frequent turning of earth...first when you plant, then mid-season, when the ground surface has hardened, you till again so that water is absorbed and doesn't run off with no benefit. You may have plants that need replaced, you may want to transplant, you may want to dig in fertilizer.

If covered with the rubber mulch, you would need to remove the mulch each time and place you dig. The adjacent mulch will inevitably have dirt thrown in from digging.

For flower beds, I'd stick with shredded bark mulch, that is actually beneficial to the soil when tilled.

I think the rubber mulch is a great substitute for someplace you may have formerly thought to use pea gravel.

(If you live in a development where there is a homeowner's association, I'd check with them about using rubber mulch, especially if you decide to use BLUE!

Old 03-19-08, 05:04 AM
Ps.

I was thinking about this, and I wonder- am I the only person who views this as wrong?

You purchase tires for your vehicle, you pay big bucks, then you pay a fee to recycle your old tires. (They are such a problem in the environment, you have to pay for disposal, but that's a different forum.)

So, you pay for tires, you pay to dispose of tires, then you pay to get them back in the form of mulch?

Old 04-08-08, 02:40 PM
Smile Paying for mulch

Well!

Is it not so? with every recycled product! like glass, paper goods, plastic and Boxes. I believe it is so, with almost every recycled product. In any case my point is that we and our kids love the rubbermulch it does the job - of protecting our kids.

Last edited by Rosy Rose; 04-08-08 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 04-08-08, 03:35 PM
Rosy, I'm sorry if you are offended. I do suggest you do some reading about rubber mulch and the possible environmental impact that has yet to be determined. It's not even rubber...it's simulated rubber, which means chemicals...on the ground and under your kids.

Please remember that we used pressure treated wood with arsenic in the preservative until a short time ago.

Connie