Fire a landscaper?

Old 03-29-08, 05:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire a landscaper?

I hired a landscaping company to redo my front walk. The appointment was scheduled for Thursday "around lunch time" and he never showed and never called. I left him a voicemail and received a returned call sometime Friday morning while I was at work apologizing for not showing up due to another job running late. I called him back and left a message saying we wanted to see the stone first before he put it down so he said he would come on Friday, leave 2 samples, and prep the walkway (which he did) and to call him back, tell him what stone we picked so he could do the work Saturday. Saturday has come and gone and the work was not finished and my phone calls were not returned.
Should I fire this guy now or give him another chance? I realize the job is small and he probably got a better offer so he ditched mine for the more lucrative job and he'll get to me when he gets to me.
What am I responsible for if I do fire him? I feel that he just started the job on Friday to tear up my walkway so we would have to wait for him rather than just tell him no thanks and go with someone else. Our walkway is still torn up and it looks like it will be at least Monday before it is fixed.
What makes me feel worse is that I can't find this company name on Yahoo! Local or on the BBB.org... which is my mistake for not checking that out beforehand.

Old 03-29-08, 07:55 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
if you do not have a written contract controlling this, you should be able to fire him if you want BUT you would be liable for the time already spent and if has purchased the material, you would be liable for that as well.

I believe you are right about the bigger job and honestly, the time involved is not a huge thing. We are talking a couple days so I would not be concerned about anything, yet. In this type of work, things do not always go as scheduled and a day or two is not a big deal.

Old 03-30-08, 04:18 AM
S
AS a contractor it is surprising how fast a couple of days can turn into a week. AS previously posted there might be another job or he got sick, someone in his family is sick, maybe some employees did not come to work, machines might have broken down, just to name a few factors.

I am probably taking the contractors side, but i would give them a week. After that i would call them and let then know that you have decided to go with someone else. That should get things going.

Oh, if you are going to fire them, a letter and phone call would be better.

Rob

Old 03-30-08, 06:23 AM
H
ok, I see where both of you are coming from... It's just that a phone call would be nice if you aren't going to show up, that's all. I'll try to be patient!

Old 03-30-08, 06:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricanefloyd
What makes me feel worse is that I can't find this company name on Yahoo! Local or on the BBB.org... which is my mistake for not checking that out beforehand.
Although retired now, I used to have my own painting business. I doubt my business could have been found on the internet. I didn't even learn how to use a computer until after I retired - still learning I was licenced but never had any unresolved complaints or dealings with the BBB so I don't know for sure if my company name would show up there either.

The point of this response is, a lot of small business's won't have a big paper trail but that doesn't mean they are dishonest or do shoddy work - I've run across many big companies that did both

While your contractor's communications could have been better, things happen and a 1-2 day delay means nothing. As always, it's best to check references before hiring any contractor!

Old 04-01-08, 08:26 AM
H
so he came back yesterday morning...put the stone down on the walkway...and left 2 piles of sand on top. it's now been raining so the sand is all wet. he didn't leave a note or call me to tell me what was going on. what the hell????

Old 04-01-08, 12:52 PM
K
Try and understand the people who choose these careers may not relish inter-office communications.

On the other hand, your landscaper's probably more concerned about the landscape than your opinion of him. Not bad at all.

He probably had some lawn to save from the rain. Anyway, the newly placed stone will get its first settling now thanks to nature. This is a lucky scenario. When your landscaper returns he may decide to even the stones a bit.

Old 04-01-08, 02:49 PM
nap
he's just letting the sand wash into the gaps between the stone.

Just kidding. He doesn't sound like a speed demon. Hopefully he does do a good job for you. Just remember who not to hire next time.

Old 04-01-08, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Floyd, you need to talk to the man face to face. You are becoming frustrated, and the landscaper doesn't know it.

Leave him a note, atop the rock with a time that you expect him to call you. Also give an alternate time in case he can't make the first.

No matter how busy, it's important for both of you to understand exactly what the other expects.

(And just so you all know, this is the "Green Landscaping" Forum, as in environmentally friendly. )

Old 04-01-08, 06:26 PM
G
Rocks and sand seem pretty environmentally friendly to me.
If course, when we get hot under the collar we tend to release some CO2.

Old 04-01-08, 07:00 PM
meanwhile over at the landscapers forums , a guy is blowing off steam about the PITA customer he has

Old 04-02-08, 02:30 AM
I LOVE this place!!!!

Old 04-03-08, 03:07 PM
H
Mod, feel free to move this thread to the proper category.

So he came yesterday and "finished" the job. I look at it this morning and see a cracked stone and when you walk on it, the stones shift slightly, is this normal? Also, there is some sand missing from between some of the stones.

Old 04-03-08, 03:11 PM
H
Originally Posted by mango man
meanwhile over at the landscapers forums , a guy is blowing off steam about the PITA customer he has
not helpful at all.

Old 04-03-08, 03:24 PM
Hi Floyd, Did you speak to the landscaper, today?

Old 04-03-08, 03:30 PM
Do you or do you not have a signed contract?

Is your landscaping company licensed?

Did you see their license?

Old 04-03-08, 04:22 PM
K
a cracked stone
Sometimes a stone is already cracked invisibly and remains apparently whole even while lifting and carefully setting into place.

If the landscaper discovered the crack only after setting all the stones, I wonder why he did not stop to ask you how to proceed?

You could replace the cracked stone, or half of it, if that bugs you. It will be an incredible PITA finding and fitting a replacement.
when you walk on it, the stones shift slightly, is this normal?
Depends on the size of the stone, the weight of you. It should settle in over time, unless you deliberately rock it by stomping on the edge.
there is some sand missing from between some of the stones
That's natural, and again, the sand will settle over time.

Old 04-03-08, 05:25 PM
nap
not helpful at all.
I believe that was mango;s attempt at humor. You know, you over here complaining about your contractor while your contract or is over in the other forum complaining about some customer that seems to be a PITA to him.

He was kidding.

stones should not rock "easily". If they do, then the guy did not set them properly. As Kobuchi said, if youstand on an edge, of course you will be able to rock it, after all, there is only sand under it but it should be somewhat compacted by placing and setting the stone so it should not move easily.

sand missing between the stones; shouldn't be until the sand has a chance to settle. If there were gaps when he walked away, he did s sloppy job and that too can allow a stone to rock. They do support each other from the sides as well as the sand under them.

Old 04-03-08, 09:30 PM
K
I read earlier in the thread that the landscaper put the sand in, in the rain. Of course any three year old at the beach knows wet sand clumps. It won't flow into cracks.

The slow way to fill those cracks is, gradually, sweeping and sprinkling with water to flow it into place.

I suggest waiting until the weather dries up, then sweep dry sand around.

Old 04-04-08, 06:12 AM
H
Originally Posted by connie
Do you or do you not have a signed contract?

Is your landscaping company licensed?

Did you see their license?
I called yesterday and got his voicemail as usual. left a message and haven't received a call back yet.

The stones aren't rocking easily but it is noticeable...I will give it time to settle in.

Old 04-04-08, 04:23 PM
All right, Floyd, everyone has weighed in with their advice and opinions. You must ask yourself if you are satisfied with the work you received for the amount of payment you gave.

I left you some other tips in your post about hiring a contractor for a fence. I hope you will take advantage of those suggestions. It will eliminate a lot of the uncertainty of hiring a stranger.

What you have experienced is one of the biggest reasons I learned how to DIY. I just couldn't afford to pay for all the work I needed done, many times workmen didn't show or complete a job as promised. Sometimes the work was inferior.

But, when I did have a good contractor for a job, it was wonderful! All the best contractors I had took time to listen to me, (You probably already sense it is difficult NOT to listen to me- but some were actually WILLING! ). Those same pros took time to explain to me how the job would be done. The best would never say, "No, I can't do that.", but they might tell me, "I think it would be better if we did it this way."

I am eternally grateful to those men!

Connie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: