wire in bathroom no power

Old 06-07-08, 07:11 PM
wire in bathroom no power

I am new and not good with electrical, please help. I took down a bathroom lights (with an outlet on the panel of lights). Replace a new lights with same outlet on the panel. I connect all three black wire together and three white wire together, and three green wire together. After installation, find out that the two wires from wall are dead. (was working before taking down the lights) I check the break, all fine. Within the same break, other lights and outlets are working also. Only these two wire in bathroom are dead. Any suggestions? Thanks million in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-08, 04:00 PM
wesgtnlas

The dead black wires are return lines from the fixture to the switch. Generally the black (hot) wire enters into the switch and goes to the fixture. The end coming from the fixture is dead. The white (common) wires are joined directly. That way, when the switch is on, the circuit is completed.
Use a circuit tester to determine which one of the black wires at the switch is hot. The black wires from the fixtures should go to the other side of the switch.

Last edited by westnlas; 06-09-08 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added info