Non-Floating Mulch?

Old 06-14-14, 03:36 PM
Question Non-Floating Mulch?

We have a bio retention planter (AKA a rain garden) out front. The city of Seattle says if we are going to mulch it, we have to use a "non-floating" mulch. I know the go-to for non-floating mulch is cypress, which I can't seem to find around here. All I can seem to find is the rubber mulch, and who the hell knows how safe that is.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If for appearances' sake, rubber is fine. It is almost inert when used in plant gardens where there is a lot of water present. We use cypress mulch primarily because it doesn't rot. Never knew it didn't float, but I guess it was harvested from below the water, so it makes sense.

Old 06-14-14, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
And just to note...cypress is being harvested way too much. Rubber would be fine. I doubt it would be an issue even with a veggie garden. Pretty inert stuff after all the processing.

Old 06-14-14, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the city has a strict guideline of what you can plant in those rain gardens, but they aren't as specific on mulching - just that it has to be non-floating. And if the only non-float kind I can find at Home Depot is rubber, then so be it!