Ash trees

Old 03-11-21, 05:38 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Posts: 425
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ash trees

I am hoping for suggestions and/or legalities of my situation at my house. Along the front of my property I have 4 large ash trees. The road in front of my home is a state road and there is a right-of-way on which the trees stand. I live in S.E. Pa. and we have a pest called the ash borer which gets inside the ash trees and 'poisons' the sap, which in time kills the tree. In 2018 I had a professional come in and treated the trees to the tune of $1600. The treatment is guaranteed for 3 years which means it is due again now. My question is shouldn't the state pay for the treatment of those trees since they stand on the right-of-way? I really don't want to be stuck for a $1600 bill every 3 years.
Old 03-11-21, 06:07 PM
maarkr's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 430
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
from my experience, it's their right of way but your trees... if they want to cut or do whatever with the trees for safety or electrical, they can, but it's still your property.,, and if the trees die, they can make you cut them down. Some towns work well with homeowners and will trim or cut trees if requested, and most towns, not so much. Not much of a legal answer, sorry.
Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-12-21, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 48,082
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You might contact the state and ask. I suspect they won't pay for the treatment although they might pay for removal.
Old 03-12-21, 04:10 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 9,978
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
With ASH bore they may very well help.
Old 03-12-21, 07:02 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,769
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Consult your state forestry service for help.
marksr voted this post useful.
Old 03-12-21, 07:40 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 7,292
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Pretty much as Maarkr stated, their right of way, your trees.

Lets face it, no township/city/county/state has the available funds to pay $1600 to treat trees for every homeowner. They cant even keep up with the basic services like water/sewer/roads.

If you love the trees your probably going to have to pay.

On a side note, I've cut down a lot of Elm trees on my property, I didnt know they even had a treatment that was effective!
Old 03-16-21, 08:17 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 807
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Probably done with a hose, feeder bottle and deep spike with holes.... and apply all around the root zone....right ? If so, find out what was used, buy some and get a deep root feeder. DIY.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: