Boiling hot water to kill weeds in lawn

Old 07-08-24, 10:02 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Boiling hot water to kill weeds in lawn

Now I have carpet grass popping up in my fescue lawn!!! I read that my options are to dig it out or pouring boiling hot water on it once a week. Has anyone had good results with boiling hot water to kill weeds? I know I have to be careful and the hot water will kill surrounding fescue grass.

Old 07-08-24, 11:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
"Has anyone had good results with boiling hot water to kill weeds?"
Boiling water can kill grass and weeds. It wastes a lot of energy heating the water but it can work. Depending on the weed and how much water you apply you may need repeated treatments. Small amounts of water cool quickly and don't kill the roots. If you use enough water to kill the roots you'll have a larger dead area as other plants also get cooked.

I find spot treatment with herbicide to be less expensive, easier and more energy efficient. Most/all herbicides that will kill carpetgrass also hurt cool season grass so applying herbicide to only the plant you want to kill is key. A spray bottle works for larger patches or I'll use a artists/hobby paint brush and paint the herbicide onto the target leaves.

Old 07-08-24, 12:32 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks, I have Round-up. I like the idea of painting it on the leaves. I've never heard of that. Is Round Up too potent? Or what herbicide do you suggest?

Old 07-08-24, 01:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
Glyphosate/Roundup is the goto herbicide for this. Paint it on in it's diluted form just like you would if spraying.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 07-09-24, 11:39 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
I've often used boiling water to kill weeks in cracks in the walkway or driveway.

Usually, it is just opportunistic, a way to use up boiling water left from making morning coffee with a kettle and French press; or boiling water left over from making pasta or deviled eggs.

Similar to how my grandmother would pour hot water down a slow draining bathroom sink.

Old 07-09-24, 11:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
We 'paint' with Roundup around here as well for weed grasses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: