Odor from swamp cooler!

Old 06-10-04, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Odor from swamp cooler!

I recently moved to Arizona and have been using a swamp cooler instead of the central A/C for the last 6 weeks or so. Everything was great until yesterday when I started getting a slight "dead fish" odor from the cooler. The humidity has been 10% or less, so I'm guessing the smell is not mold. This is my first use of a swamp cooler and I'm not sure how to cure the problem. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Bill

Old 06-11-04, 08:52 AM
Thumbs up

Id try a 50/50 mix water and clorox and spray the whole filter in it good.

ED

Old 06-11-04, 09:13 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id try a 50/50 mix water and clorox and spray the whole filter in it good.
Your suggestion was about 5 minutes late - I just finished draining all the water, spraying (with plain water) then scrubbing down the elements and the interior of the cooler. While working, I found a dead lizard in the water, but sniffed it and noticed no odor. Additionally, I found a deodorizer "cake" for evaporative coolers at Home Depot, so I've installed one of these. What's more, I've been getting this slight clattering noise, so I lubed all the bearings, then put everything back together. Although it's only been a few minutes, everything seems OK now. If I continue to have the fishy smell, I'll try your suggestion.

- Bill

Old 07-28-06, 08:14 AM
B
Re: Odor from swamp cooler

There is an inexpensive product called the Sunflower Zinc Anode that can last up to 3 years depending on the salinity of your water.

It not only prohibits most of the rust and corrosion in the pan and parts but takes care of much of the bacteria that cause the "fishy smell" and possible health problems.

Adding bleach to your water only "enhances" rust problems and lasts about as long as you can come down off the roof. Your swamp cooler is not a washing machine. You could possibly be inhaling chemicals.

NOADVERTISINGLINKS IN FORUMS is the place to read about the product.

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-28-06 at 08:26 AM. Reason: No advertising links in forums.
Old 07-28-06, 10:07 AM
T
The swamp cooler, an evaporative cooler, received its name of 'swamp' because of odor issues. They reportedly tend to smell like a swamp. If unclean, there are odor issues. Evaporative coolers should be cleaned prior to use and require ongoing cleaning. The cooling pads tend to be the source of odor. On new units the odor from the new pads tends to dissipate.

Bleach, chlorine, bromine and ozone are typically not recommended because they are strong oxidants that can irritate skin, damage eyes, cause respiratory problems, and damage cooler components. Some recommend the use of biocides. If a biocide is used, it should be one approved by the EPA for evaporative units. Read and follow instructions.

It is best to follow manufacturer's recommendations for routine cleaning and maintenance in order to control contaminants, mineral build up, and bacteria that can be harmful to health. A regular cleaning and maintenance program can alleviate fears about microbes and disease and prevent odor problems and protect unit components.

Old 07-28-06, 12:32 PM
Wink

If your unit dont have a self flush Look into putting one in I think this will stop what you have now. They sure help keep the units clean.

ED

Old 07-03-11, 12:11 PM
M
Never use bleach!

Simply drain the water out, rinse and brush the bottom where the water collects, rinse the pads and frames then refill with fresh water. Add about a cup or so of distilled white vinegar, reassemble, and run the pump for an hour or better before running the fan.

If you donít want your house smelling like salad dressing for an hour or so, you can drain and refill again. I donít mind the smell and it keeps the pads fresher, longer, if you keep the vinegar in.

It is best to avoid any kind of bleach product as it will hasten the demise of your pads and pump and is highly corrosive, as well as toxic in the case of chlorine!

The smell comes from mold, mildew, bacteria, etc and the vinegar kills all that. No need to buy some fancy, expensive swamp cooler additive. The vinegar also helps fight corrosion.

I realize this post is a little late for some but, hopefully, it is timely enough to keep others from making the mistake of using bleach therefor avoiding damage to their unit and possible health risks.

Old 07-06-11, 09:08 AM
S
This site is having issues and no one has replied back to my PM's!
I sign in and check this site almost every day but half the time there are no new posts or threads and then all of a sudden, one shows up that is several days old.
The threads are fading in and out during the day, one minute they are here and the next minute they dont show up again when I sign in!
Whats going on??

Old 07-06-11, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Don't know what to tell you sammy...haven't noticed any of that. And I'm on 16/7....
They haven't been doing any updates or maintenance that I'm aware of. Who did you PM? Though people may be still listed as members...many are long gone.

Not really the right forum....but you might try clearing your cache or completely shutting down (unplugging also) and restarting. When I do have issues...most times that fixes it.

Old 07-06-11, 02:00 PM
S
I sent one to you Vic, about 2 months ago and also to Mattison, site moderator and never heard back.
I never had to be signed in to see new threads in the past and even now, this thread that I'm replying to you on has never appeared on my screen until today, even when I'm signed in.
I have this same problem on my home computer, lap top and work computer. I really stumped.
This thread was revived on 7-3-11 and I've not had it come up on my screen, even when signed in, until this morning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: