Swamp Cooler stopped blowing air.

Old 08-03-07, 03:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Swamp Cooler stopped blowing air.

My swamp cooler was working fine then we went to turn it on in the morning and we could hear the pump and the pump is pumping water but no air is coming in. We thought the motor went out so we bought a new one, when we went to turn it on it is doing the same thing. The pump comes on but nothing els happens. Can someone please help I can't afford to spend $150.00 on a new motoer that I can't use. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I have never used this service before but from what I have read it sounds like someoe out there might be able to help.

Old 08-03-07, 07:37 PM
M
If you changed the motor it sounds like a problem in the switch or the cord between switch and motor. Look for a break in the neutral(white) wire between switch and motor. Since the new motor won't run on low or hi speed ,I think that is the problem. Keep us posted on your progress or lack of it.
Mike

Old 08-03-07, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

A meter would help you out here. To see where you have power. Like said can be in the wire or I check the switch If it is for 2 speed. You sure you wired it in right? Did you check the old motor after you took it out??????

Old 08-03-07, 10:10 PM
M
Question Swamp cooler

Mike,

Thank you very much for responding and trying to help us we thought the same thing we checked the cord for any breaks or cracks and could not find any, if you have any othr ideas I would love to hear them. I turned it on and I can hear a humming noise but still no air if that helps. The cage if that is what it is called it turns by hand that is good I think. Thanks again. Willie

Old 08-03-07, 10:17 PM
M
Old Motor

We have not checked the old motor yet because the new on is doing the exact same thing as the old one we figured it wasen't the motor I guesss it could be the switch. Question if the switch is turning on the pump like it is suppose to does that mean the switch is working right? Or no I don't know and if it a 2 speed thank you very much for every ones help it is good to know there are people are there that will still help each other. Willie

Old 08-04-07, 05:03 AM
M
Since the new motor is doing the same as the old,I have to assume the motor is connected right. Some motors have a colored dot next to each wire post telling you where each wire goes. If not,look on the data plate. sometimes they will have a drawing showing wire connections.
If you can figure out which motor post is the neutral, cut the female end off a cheap ext cord. Then,W/ THE EXT CORD UNPLUGGED!!!, connect one wire to the neutral post and the other wire to either hi or lo pst. This is done w/ wires from switch disconnected of course. Plug in the ext cord to see if motor will run. This should tell if the switch or cord is bad. BE SURE TO UNPLUG EXT CORD BEFORE DISCONNECTING WIRES FROM MOTOR !!!!
HTH,
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: