Why I hate evap coolers

Old 05-23-08, 04:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why I hate evap coolers

I live in AZ and have a lifetime of dealing with these things and I am not a fan.

Low technology, but high maintenance, besides changing pads, burnt out motors and pumps all the time, it seems you are on the roof several times a season adjusting water levels, unclogging lines, fixing leaks etc.

If the humidity rises at all, these things are practically useless, seems to be inefficient for at least 2 months of every summer.

A reservoir of water on your roof just waiting to leak into your house, and attract mosquitos.

Rusted and dirty ductwork

Overall dirty and clammy feeling from moist air especially during monsoon season.

Yes they are cheaper to run, but if you can afford AC you will be much more comfortable.

Stay tuned for my next post with tips on how to live with these crappy things.

Old 05-28-08, 12:20 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've never noticed much difference in type or brand, I've heard that the thick pad units (aerocool, mastercool) are better, but I've been in houses using them, not much different to me. The Tradewinds plastic one's will never rust out though.

The aspen pads have a nice woody smell when new but contribute to clogging the pump and lines when they deteriorate. Some of the synthetics have a bad odor when new but they don't break down. They all seem to cool about the same.

If you have a choice, don't mount it on the roof. I made a stand to run a side draft cooler through the window of my garage.I don't have to worry about it leaking into my roof and it's more accessible, and believe me you will need to access it to repair and adjust several times a year.

Coolers have a hole in the pan with a fitting and over flow riser tube.
I put a second hole and fitting without the riser and ran a hose with shutoff valve to the ground, that way I could drain it anytime from the ground. Frequent drainings keep it much cleaner and reduce the calcium build up.

Do yourself a favor and mount a window AC in your bedroom, that way you will always have a comfortable place to hangout and sleep even when it is humid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: