Replacing evap cooler motor with a higher amperage motor.

Old 07-09-14, 07:51 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing evap cooler motor with a higher amperage motor.

This year when we started using our evap cooler, we noticed the airflow from past years just wasn't there. Taking a rough guess, I thought the problem was probably in the motor or the bearings. I've oiled the bearings, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I went ahead and ordered new ones (they're $42 online!!!, never buy a Brisa!) but they haven't arrived yet.

I started looking for a new motor but they were $231 new (again never buy a Brisa!) on the interwebs. I found some generics on HD's and Lowes sites and ended up picking up a Dial 2 speed motor for $80 and have swapped it out.

During the process I compared the specs for the motors and the only difference was in the amp draw. The Brisa original was a 5.5A motor, and the generic Dial was 6.5A. I have a basic understanding of electricity, so that gave me pause. In the end I went ahead and installed the motor and have been running it for a couple hours now.

I am monitoring it closely (checking the pigtail for excessive heat, trying to see if i can smell ozone or burning plastic, etc.) but so far so good. Plus the house is actually cooling down now.

Am I ok or should I shut it down and take it back tomorrow? The house is wired with all 20A breakers so they can take the load easy enough.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 08:31 AM
S
Your'e worrying way too much, everything is fine. Swamp coolers dont have to have specific replacement parts, the Brisa name has nothing to do with it. Dial motors are not generic, they are used with a lot of new coolers from the factory.
As far as amperage goes, you are fine as long as you replaced the motor with the same horsepower and same sized pulley.
To save money down the road, dont try to buy specific factory parts, as every brand of cooler can use the same parts off the shelf at HD or Lowes.

Now lets get to your 42 dollar bearings. Phoenix manufacturing uses those stupid one piece spider bearings and I hate them but it is what it is. Do you have a cooler supply house in your area? They will stock them for much much less. HD and Lowes sometimes carry them also and they are all the same fit for your cooler.

Funny thing about coolers, they've been around for over 70 years and still use most of the same parts that they did 70 years ago.

Old 07-10-14, 10:38 AM
R
Sammy, thank you for the reply. It's good hear I am worrying too much. The motor matches all the specs (HP, voltage, rpms) of the original other than amps. I just know electric components usually are rated for max Amp load and going over can cause dangerous failures, so I worried over the increase. I pulled the pulley off of the original motor so that should be fine.

I didn't think to look for a cooler supply house locally, though I will remember that for next time.

It is amazing how effective these things are for being so simple. I live in southern Idaho where humidity runs 10-30% in the summer so evap coolers work very well. Maybe Dyson will come along and redesign the evap cooler someday...