Treating the water in a portable evaporative cooler water tank

Old 06-26-15, 06:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Treating the water in a portable evaporative cooler water tank

Hi,

I have an Arctic Cove 500 CFM portable swamp cooler.

The owners manual states that every time I am not using the cooler I must drain all of the water out of it to discourage undesirable bacteria growth.

Well the unit is heavy and it will be a real pain to always have to drain the water out ever time. So I was wondering if I could treat the water instead and drain it less frequently. I have researched the topic online and I have got contradictory information.

I read that I can treat the water with one teaspoon of household bleach per gallon of water, but then someone else said doing that would damage the cooler.

I also searched Amazon for a commercially available water treatment product but couldn't find any specifically for swamp coolers but did find some treatments for humidifiers.

So can anyone help me with this? What about bleach? What about some commercial product I don't know of, or could I concoct a homemade product that would do the trick? Or is there no solution other than draining the water every time?

Thanks very much.

John

Old 06-26-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the authority on evap coolers but I understand it's best to use no treatment in the water tank.

Most units have a pump. Maybe that would be a route to investigate.

Old 06-26-15, 08:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Do you know the reason. Will treatments damage the cooler in some way?

Old 06-27-15, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm no expert either (Sammy will see this eventually) but I think they make special additives to discourage growth and smells. I mean, they are sold by the companies that specialize in cooler parts and accessories, I doubt they would actually harm anything. I know on bigger unit's, bleeding/flushing is absolutely the best way.

Couldn't you rig up a siphon tube of some sort so you don't have to move the unit? Never had one so I don't know if that's possible or not.

BTW...not using it doesn't mean just turning it off at night. More likely if it won't be used for several days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: