Pump to element hose has extra drain hose?

Old 05-09-18, 12:52 PM
Smile Pump to element hose has extra drain hose?

I have a question for you guys. The hose that goes from the pump to the top of the element has a fitting in the middle with a1/8 inch hose connector that goes out of the unit and ends up at a vent location. I pulled the hose out of the drain pipe turn on the pump and a considerable amount of water comes in that tube and goes into the drain. I have no idea what itís for, but it appears that hoses capacity is greater that the supply capacity, emptying the water tank too soon.

So, I removed the hose and plugged up the hole and the supply can keep up with the consumption. My question is, what heck is that for? It doesnít look like something temporary or used to drain the supply at the end of the season. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-18, 01:08 PM
Lost! Can you take a pic and post it here so we can see exactly what you see?

Old 05-09-18, 03:43 PM
Airman, sorry. Itís at my rental home. But if you know about these coolers, it has a tray at the bottom which holds the source water which is regulated with a float valve and a pump sits in that water tray. The output hose from the pump moves the water to the top of the unitís element, which is a 6Ē thick cardboard looking thing where the water and air mix. That output hose that feedstock top, about one half way up has a fitting in it that allowed an 1/8ĒID plastic tube to fit. That small tube was routed out of the unit and ended at an air vent for one of the roof vents and when the pump was on, it diverted water from the unitís element into that ďdrain.Ē

I hope you can visualize it with that info.

Old 05-09-18, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Your tank should be auto-fill and it sounds like that line is allowing water to drain to allow fresh water to come in. A recycle water to waste line to keep the water from stagnating.

Old 05-11-18, 07:59 AM
pJmax, my problem is, the supply line cannot keep the tank full enough to avoid pump cavitation while that pump to element relief is connected. Once I removed it, all was well. I am worried by removing it, I am changing the design.

I get the idea it is keeping the water fresher than it outerwise would be. Maybe I need to restrict the loss to find a balance?

Old 05-11-18, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Possibly the pump isn't pumping as much as it was before.
Restricting the bypass line as needed should be ok.

If the water doesn't stay clean you may need to replace the pump.