Mastercool cooler pads stink - Big time!

Old 05-16-18, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mastercool cooler pads stink - Big time!

I installed my 6400 cf Mastercool cooler in July of 2013. In October 2017 I bought a Mastercool pad set, in a Mastercool box, for $130 and had a company replace the old pads. I did not run the blower after the replacement.

In early May 2018 I turned the blower on and within 30 seconds I thought the AC was on fire because of the smell (like an electrical fire, burning rubber, etc.) I called the company and they came out and removed the pads which, BTW, had about 30 minutes of water run through them. I've never smelled anything so bad as those new pads.

So I took them back and received a replacement set. They smelled the same but not so bad. Again I had the company install them and when I turned the blower on I got the same smell. Or stink. Just not as bad.

I write this in hopes that others considering replacing the pads for their Mastercool cooler won't panic when they first use them. I suppose the smell will go away. I can't recall if the pads than came with the cooler smelled or not.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-18, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I know when I replaced the pads in my Champion garage cooler...they smelled when new also. After a day or so, they just had the regular kinda musty water smell which was normal for that little unit. IIRC I used some sort of deodorizer liquid or tablet that helped...as well as doing a drain and fill a few times. (No purge line on that small of a unit.)