Bonaire Durango evaporative cooler questions

Old 06-13-18, 08:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bonaire Durango evaporative cooler questions

I'm planning to buy the Durango for my two story, 1,200 square foot house. 1st Floor=513 sqft/4309 cuft (8.5' ceilings)/2154CFM; 2nd floor=487 sqft/3798 cuft (7'10" ceilings)/1899 CFM; total house=4053 CFM. Ideally I'd prefer to install in a first floor window, for ease of maintenance/access. Only available windows on the second floor require an extension ladder, so it would be difficult to access the unit. However, I'm concerned about installing it on the first floor and expecting it to send cold air up, to the second floor. Does anyone have experience/knowledge to encourage or discourage me from installing it on the first floor? Part of issue is house is brick, has no insulation, including roof, so second floor gets very hot by end of the day, so cooling it is a challenge. Would this installation result in being frozen out of the first floor?
A related question is that the two bedrooms on the second floor are on opposite sides of the stairs. Assuming I open windows in each bedroom adequately, would this create any issues with cooling?
And finally, it has been recommended to me that if fan noise level is an issue, I should buy a larger model than is needed and keep the fan on low. I would mount the unit in a kitchen window, so I would prefer a quieter fan. Is buying the 5900cfm version a bad idea?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Separated from: bonaire-durango-evaporative-cooler-ii

Last edited by PJmax; 06-13-18 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-13-18, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread.

I can service evaporative coolers but am not familiar with the amount of noise they generate.
Others should stop by and offer help.

Old 07-01-18, 02:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The 5900 cfm unit is a crock. Buy the 4500 cfm unit, it's identical to the bigger model. Bonaire claims to use a different capacitor to make it run faster but otherwise it's identical to the 4500 unit in all aspects right down to the motor horsepower.
They are noisy on high speed and yes, if you open the windows upstairs, it will force the air out of those windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: