Bonaire 5900 purge pump issues

Old 07-31-18, 05:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bonaire 5900 purge pump issues

Installed a Bonaire 5900, and it has done an amazing job with cooling. I realized pretty quickly that there was some calcification occurring. I install a purge pump, and it has not turned on since I installed it yesterday. I unplugged it and tested it with an extension cord and it began purging.

where should I start? It is much too hot to warranty parts, etc. I have skills in electrical, but a general direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-18, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I know that unit comes with a "bleed off" system designed to purge old water to keep a new supply coming in.
I'm not aware of an optional purging pump. That unit comes with a blower and a recirculating pump.
Where did you connect it to ?
Not sure how this would be a warranty issue.

Old 08-11-19, 09:43 AM
B
Same Bonaire Purge Problem

Same problem...purge pump doesn't turn on.
Followed install instruction...tested pump with extension coord.

Tried all remote settings and power options.

Did anyone find a solution?

Old 08-11-19, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
So we can assume the pump works fine on an extension cord ?
Do you have a link to the kit or purge pump you installed ?

Old 08-07-20, 11:10 AM
B
Old subject, but I just installed a purge pump and the info may help others.

The newer Durangos are designed for the addition of a second pump for purging. It already has the timer built-in to the electronics, so you don't need an expensive "purge pump", just a standard cheap pump that the Durango will turn on and off itself for 3 minutes, every 4/8/12 hours.

I purchased the following from Home Depot, and was all that was needed:
DIAL Evaporative Cooler Mesh Pump Basket $1.88
DIAL 1/2 in. x 5 ft. Evaporative Cooler Pump Hose $4.48
DIAL ECON5000 MaxCool Evaporative Cooler Pump $17.98

Remove the bleed off hose from the drain/overflow line, then there is a barb connector on the top of the drain/overflow line to attach the hose from the purge pump. Well thought out redesign from the original! Just leave the bleed off hose sitting somewhere in the water reservoir.

Place the new pump and mesh basket in the water reservoir to the left of the main pump, then measure and cut the hose to the needed length to reach the drain line.

Open the little access panel and plug in the pump. Make sure you have a drip loop on the power cord (I used a tie wrap to hold the loop.) And that's it.

I think the purge pump feature only works when using the remote control as it depends on the electronic logic. When turning on the unit in "cool" mode, then also press either the 4/8/12 button to select how often you want the purge function activated. Each time it will be for only 3 minutes, so over a season only a few hours runtime will be put on the purge pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: