Can't find the flue on gas furnace/swamp cooler system.

Old 10-15-18, 03:02 PM
Can't find the flue on gas furnace/swamp cooler system.

I'm in a new house with a system that shares duct work between the evaporative cooler and furnace. I've lived in homes like this before but the lever to switch the flue from winter to summer was always on the main trunk or plenum.

As it is now the pilot lights itself like is supposed to and the fan blows correctly but all hot air is forced into the exhaust pipe going to the roof.

I've searched all around the air handler and main trunk with no luck. The slide damper is inserted in the swamp cooler to block off the duct leading to it.
(it's a side mount)

Anyone know what I'm missing/doing wrong?

*side note - The thermostat appeared to be wired wrong so initially I thought that was the issue. The heat transfer (blue) wire was in the G slot and the fan wire (green) was disconnected. I put the fan wire in the correct G slot and put the blue wire in the B slot where it goes. However nothing changed, I still have all air pushing into the exhaust through the roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-18, 12:33 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

but all hot air is forced into the exhaust pipe going to the roof.
If you can't find what you are looking for I would highly recommend getting an HVAC technician to check it out. From what you've described.... I can see a home handyman connection that is NOT safe.

You could try posting a few pictures of what you have there..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-16-18, 05:40 PM
Talking

Hey thanks for the reply. I figured it out after hunting down the housing community director.

I'll give a quick explanation for anyone who might have a similar problem searching the forum.

1. My thermostat was wired wrong by God knows what yahoo before me. It actually caused the fan to run in reverse of all things. So check your thermostats and look up the color code guides on the internet.

2. (And this one made me feel stupid) On these evaporative cooler/furnace combos there is typically a lever that operates a flue that switches your duct work from heating to cooling. On this model there is a damper, a 20x20 stainless steel sheet that inserts underneath the furnace unit to block the duct air flow, its behind a little heat sheld held on by two screws at the very bottom of the unit on the floor.

​​Thats was what was blocking my airflow after I rewired the thermostat.

*note - this is a two story house with the unit upstairs.

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate ya.

Old 10-16-18, 07:51 PM
The thermostat shouldn’t cause the blower to run backwards.
It’s very difficult to visualize what your describing. But it doesn’t sound right.