Evaporative cooler at night

Old 05-02-20, 09:04 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Evaporative cooler at night

I used to have a downdraft evaporative cooler that had pads on all four sides and never had a problem with cooling day or night. I switched to a Master Cool and since then, I have been extremely dissatisfied with the performance. Im not sure why it doesnt cool at night. As soon as the sun goes down, and the temperature begins to drop outside, the cooler doesnt cool. Last night it was 75 in my house and 71 outside. I thought a swamp cooler was supposed to cool below the outside temperature. Ive had two Master Cool repair men here and neither one fixed it. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Old 05-02-20, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can only give you general information as we don't have those coolers in the Northeast.
One of our members..... Sammy.... is very knowledgeable with these coolers.

Evaporative coolers are not air conditioners. They are very dependent on inside and outside humidity level as well as temperatures. They're also dependent on air circulation.

Do you have a way of drawing air thru the house and discharging outside ?
It would seem that just that should reduce the interior temp further.

Old 05-02-20, 01:22 PM
L
Hi Pete,
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I do have fans that can regularly bring in the outside air, I’m just confused by the fact it does cool during the day, yet falters in the evening. I’m in Arizona, right now it’s 18% humidity, perfect for a swamp cooler. I’m just curious about the Master Cool’s inability to cool at night unlike the cooler it replaced which had water pads on 4 sides. Master Cool’s advertising guarantees it to be better than the 4 sided one, having one extremely thick water pad. Last summer, when it was 117, it kept the house at 85, better than my neighbors AC, yet it seemed to stop cooling as soon as the sun went down. It’s just illogical and 85 degrees is too hot for sleep. I’m dreading the summer.
How could I find Sammy? I’m new here.
🙏

Old 05-02-20, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
I sent Sammy a PM to see if he could address this thread.

Sammy37

Old 05-02-20, 05:44 PM
L
Just to add more data to the mix...
It is 5:45, and the outdoor temperature has gone from 96 degrees at 3pm to 89 degrees now, while the inner temperature has gone from 73 at 3 pm to 77 degrees. This just doesn’t make sense. The air coming out of the vents is cool, but not cold like earlier.
‘Tis a puzzlement.

Old 05-07-20, 01:04 AM
S
Just a dumb question. Is the airflow as good as the old cooler? Sometimes coolers get replaced but nobody adjusts the motor pulley to fine tune the airflow. Other than that, I can't see why that thing isn't cooling the house. One other thing to check.....I've seen pumps with issues and they shut off and on on thermal overload. Check to make sure your pump isn't cycling off and on when it should be running continually.

Old 05-11-20, 05:49 AM
L
Thank you for answering, no questions are dumb to me since I know so little. The pads are getting wet.
I was asking to compare the efficiency of MasterCool with one super thick pad compared to the 4 pads and secondly, is there a reason it doesn’t cool at night? As the temperature drops outside, the cooling power seems to stop. Yesterday, I tried an experiment. I usually keep the thermostat at 78 but yesterday I dropped it down to 72. When my thermostat is 78, the cooler doesn’t bring it down more than one or 2. It still did not make a significant difference in keeping the house cool, but when the outside temperature started to go down, it stayed at 76 the entire time until I turned it off and opened up the windows because it was 70 outside. That’s what I don’t understand.
I certainly didn’t watch the four pad evaporative cooler like this since my house was always cooled. Since I posted, I found out that the MasterCool I have has 8 inch pads and not the 12 inch pads that I paid for. Since it’s very old and needs replacing, I am trying to decide which style to buy.
I just don’t want to make an uninformed decision. The companies tell me one thing. I thought if I could find people who knew how to fix them, I could find out more information.
👍👍👍

Old 05-13-20, 06:27 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
"it stayed at 76 the entire time until I turned it off and opened up the windows because it was 70 outside."

For a swamp cooler to work well you need to open a window in the rooms you want to cool.

Old 05-18-20, 07:15 AM
L
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I open two different windows about 6 inches on opposite sides of the room when I’m running the cooler. When it’s nighttime, I open all the windows completely so it cools the house, then I shut them up in the morning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: