Evap Cooler with old school wiring

Old 05-04-20, 04:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Evap Cooler with old school wiring

My swamp cooler and pump runs 6 conductors through EMT from the roof to a 3-gang box in my hall. There are 3 receptacles, 1 single pole switch for the hall light, a 3 way switch for fan speed, and a single pole double throw to the fan and/or pump. I decided to upgrade the ancient toggles to rockers, started the install, and was called out of town for a family emergency. I quickly capped off the wires and left. Forward 2 weeks later, I'm standing in my 90 degree house, staring at a bunch of red and blue wires, a few loose pigtails, and no clue how they were hooked up.

We're looking at 3 red, 2 blue, and 1 white, which may or may not be used hot. (it's not tagged, but that doesn't mean much here). So I located the hot using a NCV pen, then one by one singled out light, fan high, and fan low. The other 2 wires had no response.when they were hooked to the single pole "test" switch. I assume one of the "mystery" pigtails will load those.

Basically, I need help! Unfortunately, telling me to hook wires to terminals by color will do me absolutely NO good. This is old school with old work.

How should I go about tracing the other 2 wires? (1 blue, 1 white) and..

When I get it all sorted out, does anyone have (or know) the basic schematic so I can double check my work?. Cuz If I stare too long while trying to map it without guidance, I'll start losing basics and end up drooling all over my shirt instead..

attached picture: One blue is hot, one red completes light circuit, other 2 reds are fan hi and low. Other blue and white are unidentified. I have 2 pigtails, but don't remember which terminals they connected.

Thanks,
Suzanne

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-20, 03:05 PM
T
I snapped that the pump will have hot and neutral those are probably the 2 wires I have. I was tired and hot after a long road trip and apparently needed pizza, beer, and sleep to come to this staggering revelation... geez.

Old 05-04-20, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forums,

This is old school with old work.
Yes.... and as such you will have to go up the unit to locate which wire goes where.
We couldn't tell you any wiring color codes as there is none.

You should have hot and neutral coming into the switch box. (2 wires)
Then you need high fan, low fan, pump and at least one neutral. (4 wires)
Then you mention light. (1-2 wires)
I see six wires in the box.... there should be 7-8 wires in the switch box.

Old 05-04-20, 06:46 PM
T
Thanks Pete.

Yes, there are 6 wires. I'm running a Mastercool AD-series evap so the fan and pump are plugged in at the unit. What I can assume is the tech ran wires for switches ONLY which would eliminate the neutral (??). The light is source line in to switch, load to device, which junctions in ceiling for a few unrelated circuits, and back to breaker...I think. (Ugh... this house, I swear) All in all, I'm working with just 5 wires to run the 2-speed fan, and pump.
In the pic, I have the wires tagged and I'm holding the two that will tie in to the double/double switch for pump/fan power

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-20, 06:50 PM
T
ignore the romex at the top... it wires an outlet.on the other side of the wall. Also, I have 2 pigtails that ran between the 3-way and 2P2T.

Last edited by thisismyname; 05-04-20 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 12:31 AM
Group Moderator
If the unit is powered directly and he ran switch wiring down for the switches...... you should see the wiring at the cooler. We don't know if that "hot" is from the cooler or is for the light. If the cooler is directly powered you would need four wires..... high fan, low fan, pump and hot. However.... the hot wire coming down from the cooler is not the hot wire for the light.

There are too many variables and all I can do is guess.
You really need to see what colors connect at the cooler.

Old 05-05-20, 03:03 AM
T
Thanks again for the feedback. It ran for years with this exact setup... (whichever setup it may be) so it's just a matter of climbing around on the roof or maybe finding a clue in the manual.

It's amazing what 2 weeks will erase when wiring by memory... Duh. And I know better!

​​​​

Old 05-05-20, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
This is what happens when multiple wires with the same color are used.,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: