Evap cooler motor problem

Old 05-16-20, 12:44 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Evap cooler motor problem

Howdy, I'm new on here. I have an evap cooler the cabinet is about a year old, the motor,1/3 hp, was in the replaced cooler. I put the old motor in the new cabinet, the old motor was at least 12 years old but it worked, in the Az. sun they get a workout. But it worked. Well the old motor finally quit. I decided to upgrade to a 1/2 hp. motor. Well we installed the new DIAL 1/2 hp. motor, checked belt tension, turned it on 30sec. it quits casing is hot. Motor sits cools off starts up again 30sec. repeat. We have adjusted the pulley in 1/2 turn adjustments still repeats. I am trying to determine if the hp is too much for the cooler. Any suggestions will help. I've been doing this kind of stuff fgor a while. 70yo, I am.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-20, 01:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 445 Votes on 409 Posts
I'm thinking it's either a totally incorrect motor or there is a mechanical bind somewhere. Maybe the fan bearings have seized.

Old 05-16-20, 07:20 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Recheck your wiring connections and check that the supplied voltage and the motor voltage match. Remove the belt, run the motor see what happens. It should run longer than 30 seconds or so. Also, as Pilot Dane suggested see if the main blower bearings rotate freely while the belt (and power) are off.

Old 05-16-20, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 762 Votes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The following link is from Dial on cooler motors. It may be of some help.
Dial cooler motor instructions (pdf)

Old 05-17-20, 07:50 AM
S
Ive seen plenty of new motors bad right out of the box but as the others said, re check everything else first.

Old 05-18-20, 09:47 AM
G
Update

Thank you to everyone that responded. So replaced motor to original 1/3hp. All bearing surfaces move freely, no binding. Went to wiring..... there's where problem was. Matched all color wires to each other. Motor runs strong, both speeds with pump. Problem now is that the pump does not run independently. I'm going back up to check wiring again. Still not certain where this lead should land. But I am very grateful for the input. This is part on my ongoing education. Thanks again. Just for information, this unit is being used on a 1956 Spartan.