Ice box cooler evaporative lid for cat to lay on

Old 08-31-20, 12:06 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice box cooler evaporative lid for cat to lay on

Hello,
I'm making a cooled bed box for our feral cat, and will put it outside in his open, shaded shelter. I'm thinking to use a Styrofoam or regular box cooler filled with frozen packs/water jugs, and putting a comfortable lid on it that he can stretch out on. The lid should slowly evaporate and remain cool for some hours. I don't know what rigid lid material will work.

Looking online, the "Evaporative Cooler Pads" made from aspen wood look good. I haven't seen them. If they won't work, what other material might do?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 08-31-20, 03:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 971 Votes on 892 Posts
Where are you located?

Evaporative cooling works well in arid climates like Arizona and is why you see swamp coolers used there. Here in the east it's too humid so they are almost never used.

I am confused that you want to put ice packs inside the cooler and then put a wet lid on top. I can see one or the other but not both. I'm not sure laying on something wet/moist will provide the relaxing spot a cat looks for. You could use a sheet of aluminum for the lid. It would be cooled by the chilled air inside the cooler. My cat often could care less about a comfy soft bed and will often walk right by soft to lie down on jagged rocks or some other hideously uncomfortable spot. I think she does it to show how tough she it.

If you want a porous, rigid surface that can hold some water concrete step stones could be tried. You can hose them down or soak in a tub of water until it's saturated. Then the water can evaporate away naturally, cooling the concrete stepping stone. If you want something softer then a towel can be put on top but I'm not sure lying on a wet towel will appear to a cat.

Old 09-07-20, 12:12 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Pilot Dane,
I think you may be right. The reason I thought a wet lid would work is that the wet cloth that I wrap around a freezer pack and drape off onto a cement stone would allow the cat to lay on the cloth, which remains cool as the pack evaporates. However, I've only seen him touch it, and not lay on it.

We live in central Texas, where it's finally coming down from 90-105 to the upper 80's. He likes to be wiped down with a cool damp washcloth.

I like your idea of setting the step stones in a tub of water. He might go for that. Although like your cat, he seems to prefer the uncomfortable areas, and his is the concrete driveway under the car.

Linda

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: