Repair on install new siding

Old 02-26-04, 10:16 AM
ked123
Visiting Guest
HELP - Repair on install new siding?

Hi – I own a 1995 built 4-bedroom colonial transitional with wood sidings. The sidings are in good condition but needs caulking and repainting. Also, some trims need replacement. I have received quotes of @5K for this job. The 2nd option is to install vinyl siding. This would cost 13-14K, but I am told 60 to 70% of that is recouped through higher resale price (most houses in my neighborhood are in the 250K to 300K range and lot of them have vinyl sidings) Plus its maintenance free.

1) Can any of the investment in repairing/repainting be recouped through higher sale price?
2) What is the best option? What are the considerations?
3) There’s some likelihood that I will sell my house in next couple of years. Does that change anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-04, 04:36 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Paint and caulk are generally considered to be maintenance. On the other hand, fresh paint and good repair are plusses in the sales market.

2. Recovery of siding costs probably depends on local market conditions, especially in an area of expensive houses, such as yours. Making yours more maintenance-free to match the others probably is a benefit. I would think that a real estate agent could give you a better feel for what does better locally.

3. If it looks nice, it should sell more readily.

As a side note, vinyl appeals only to those who like it. Some may see it as a negative. This is true of many things.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-04, 09:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of vinyl siding options that DON'T look like vinyl siding. Yep, they are extremely expensive. If you find something you like (vertical board and batten, shingles, etc) you might need to consider installing it yourself to make the numbers "work".

You may have admired vinyl siding without knowing it was vinyl.

The manufacturers will also encourage the use of "accessories" such as shutters and round gable vents to inject some personality.

All the siding vendors have installation guides. Most guides are only two pages or so. Many are on the internet. The HomeTime TV show has a video available, along with other videos.

There are few barriers to entry into the vinyl siding business. If the person isn't lazy or crazy or his driver's license revoked, he can claim to be a siding installer. He just needs to be able to read the instructions sheets and keep fingers away from the saw.

And if you don't like what the day's work looks like, peel it off carefully, go to bed and come back another day.