Wood splitting

Old 02-28-04, 11:53 AM
sixty5thru
Visiting Guest
Wood splitting

Not sure this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes. I live in Arizona, the average summer temp is around 105* and it frequently drops in the 30's during the winter. I just painted the outside of my house, which is stucco with some wood trim. My problem is with some 1.5' long decorative logs that extend out 90 degrees from the face of the front wall, to give a southwestern appearance of horizontal roof supports. These are natural logs, and they are attached by a large screw stud that extends out of the building frame. These logs have split, (radially if you are looking at the crosscut), from the temp and moisture changes. Before I painted them, I filled the splits, (some being maybe an 1.5" wide), with bondo. I then sanded them back to smooth, painted them with exterior primer, followed by exterior trim paint. Now we have had a wet winter, and they are starting to split again. I'd like to tear them off, cut the studs flush, stucco and paint, but my wife likes them for some reason, and I'm not sure the architectural committee of my neighbor hood association would be happy either. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ric Casali

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-04, 06:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bondo's being rigid did not work well with the moving wood. Try filling the cracks with siliconized, acrylic, latex caulk; then paint.

Old 03-04-04, 12:05 PM
sixty5thru
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I was going to use an elastic caulk before, but the splits were so large, and I had 5 individual logs to deal with, I estimated about 5-8 tubes. The new splits are pretty small, so I think your idea is the best way to go.

Thanks again,

Ric Casali