Pine and Oak Boards

Old 03-08-04, 03:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pine and Oak Boards

Can anyone suggest how to avoid solid wood boards from bending? I buy solid pine or oak boards and consume them over a period of time (usually within a couple of weeks). However, after a short period of time, they start bending and in some cases they even take an uneven wavy shape. Boards in this state are really difficult to work out and I usually finish with un-precise work piece.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 06:54 PM
C
Are you buying first and seconds, kiln - dried? Are you storing them flat, stickered, on concrete floor, how? Rough sawn or finished?

Old 03-08-04, 07:11 PM
S
I think my high-school shop class taught us to rip the board into thirds and flip the center section over, then glue it back together.

And, there is much elegance in raised panel construction. It's not only "neat" to look at, many tactics to make wood obey are on display.

Old 03-10-04, 12:54 AM
R
Chfite, I don't think these are seconds, how will I know that? They cost quite a lot and they come in standard 8 X 4 ft sanded boards, so I presume they aren't seconds. I usually store them vertically with the upper part inclined and resting on the walls of the room. I sometimes tried storing them flat on floor tiles and put some weight on the top in order to restrict such movement.

SteveBausch, I didnít get exactly what you mean! Shall I rip the board in three pieces 1.5 ft width each approx and glue them together?!! I think I have misunderstood you.

RA

Old 03-10-04, 07:42 PM
C
Firsts and seconds are the best grade of hardwood lumber.

8 foot by 4 foot sounds suspiciously like plywood or some other sheet good.

Sheet goods and lumber should be stored flat on stickers to eliminate contact with the floor if moisture can be present there at all. Sheet goods can be stored vertically if adequately supported. Leaning wood against the wall invites bending.

What species of wood is involved? Is this lumber core plywood?

Old 03-17-04, 08:16 AM
S
Seems like there is much more to this story. Is it possible that the panels are being used as 'canvas' for water-based paints?

I can't imagine many people buying this expensive material and NOT knowing how to use it. An artist would be tempted to buy it, and an artist might not know anything about it.

If this is lumber-core plywood, it's not "boards", so my advice to rip into thirds won't apply.