Bad Caulking, Help!

Old 03-15-04, 09:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Caulking, Help!

I have a rather large country style front porch. I caulked my entire front porch, column bases, siding, benches, window trim, everything. Then painted everything at the end of last summer with a good quality exterior latex semigloss paint. Every bit of of this caulking has shrunk and shrivelled up so bad, I will have to do the job entirely over again. Nothing worse than using a crapola product that doesn't do what it advertises! I wish I could sue these people to come and do the job over for me with a better product. The product is White Lightning brand latex. It says for interior/exterior use. We don't get a hot sun here but the sun exposed areas are definitely the worse spots. I did everything as directed. When I noticed this starting to happen I went and purchased some White Lightning (it's the only brand my favorite hardware store carries) butyl based caulking but that stuff is way to hard too work with. Maybe it was just old or needed to be warmed up but I could barely get it out of the tube. And when it finally came out it made a mess that is hard to clean up. Can anybody advise me on a good brand of exterior preferably latex culking that will last more than a month. I don't want to have to keep doing this job over and over again. Maybe I can suggest that my hardware story carry something different. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-04, 06:23 PM
C
In my experience, White Lightning is one of the best caulks available.

What you may be seeing is surface movement from temperature changes. I would scrape out the failing caulk and recaulk. I like Alex, a siliconized, acrylic, latex caulk. Many of the major brands of acryic, latex caulk perform well.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-04, 08:18 AM
D
Thanks chfite.
The problem is definitely not from movement, the caulking has shrank and shrivelled up. Pretty bad in some places. You can hardly tell there is any caulking left. And it's only 6 months old!
I've heard of Alex caulking. If you've had good experience with it and it lasts, I'll try it. I've heard good results from DAP also and I can get this at my local Home Desperate store. Has anyone had good results from DAP products? Thanks.

Old 03-16-04, 08:08 PM
C
I have had good results with DAP products as well.