mildew on aluminum siding

Old 03-27-04, 11:52 AM
bgs
Visiting Guest
mildew on aluminum siding

We have green mildew covering most of the aluminum siding on our house. I scratched a small area of the mildew to see if it would come off easily and some did but some just seemed to spread and become a brighter green color. Would just pressure washing remove it or is a bleach solution needed ( there are plants around the perimeter of the house though) and some scrubbing? We wouldn't be able to reach some of the areas so will need to hire someone. What is the best way to remove this and what do they usually charge? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-04, 12:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is not too difficult to remove. Use a pressure washer. Spray the plants with a good dousing of water before you start and after you finish and they should be fine.

Spray a solution of bleach 25% in water with a bit of Tide onto the siding. Let it sit for 5 or so minutes to kill the mildew. Then wash it off with the washer. Wear protective clothing and eyewear. A solution of bleach in this strength is caustic.

Doing this annually will keep the siding looking clean and bright as well as keeping the mildew at bay.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-04, 07:59 AM
bgs
Visiting Guest
mildew on siding

Thanks for the helpful advice, including watering the plants before and after using a cleaning solution.

Old 03-28-04, 08:16 AM
bgs
Visiting Guest
also

Also, I've been out voted so we're hiring someone (from the classified section of the newspaper which worries me and I think it is a mistake.) Besides asking if they are insured and licensed what else should we make sure of? Thanks again.

Old 03-28-04, 08:35 AM
Ask for three references where the same work has been done. Find out what chemicals they will use. If there is no bleach the mildew won't be killed, no soap and the residue won't be washed away.

Actually call these references and see what they say. The downside of pressure washing is damage to plants, siding and trim, water through unclosed windows.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-04, 08:52 AM
bgs
Visiting Guest
?

Thanks again. One last question. Since it is green it must be algae? (I called it mildew in my post) so does bleach still need to be used if it isn't mildew?

Old 03-28-04, 09:10 AM
Cool

Yes.

Old 03-28-04, 09:29 AM
bgs
Visiting Guest
siding

Thanks for all the advice, this forum is a really great resource for information. Thanks again!

Old 03-29-04, 06:01 PM
Just for your information, you can also use white apple cidar vinagar. No mixing, won't hurt plants, works great.