Exterior cellar door - any ideas?

Old 03-28-04, 12:41 PM
Poltergeist97
Visiting Guest
Exterior cellar door - any ideas?

My cellar door is rotting away because of age and weather. I don't want to replace it with wood again and since it's an odd size, a steel door would be too expensive. I'd like to try something where I could sandwich some styrene between some plastic panels or fiberglass. Has anyone tried something like this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cellar door

For helpful info on this website:

http://doityourself.com/doors/therightdoor.htm

Insulated steel doors are the most popular and least-expensive option. They account for about 65 percent of the market and cost as little as $150 (less than fiberglass doors). Steel doors are constructed by wrapping a thin steel skin around a core of insulating material, such as polystyrene foam or honeycomb cardboard. Check out options and price points at your local building supply.

Old 03-29-04, 05:58 PM
I see one major problem with your fiberglass type of door, and that is strength. It could easily break, and if someone stepped on it and fell through, you whould have a big law suit. I would go with the steel one. When ever I do something around my home
I always think about how someone could get hurt on or with it. Just my thoughts. Good Luck

Old 03-30-04, 05:09 PM
There is such a thing as pressure-treated plywood.