Log cabin rot

Old 03-30-04, 01:06 PM
claude
Visiting Guest
Log cabin rot

My father bought a log cabin cottage and the exterior wood is rotting, he indicates it goes about half way thru, the inside of the log walls are solid, any ideas on how to reface or replace the half rotted logs on the outside?

thanks.
Claude

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 07:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Claude. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself web site.

Some minor clarification may be required. What is not clear to me at least, is what is rotting? The outside of the logs or the material used to cover the outside surfaces of the logs?

Wood rot should not be effecting the outside of the logs. They are pressure treated and wood wood rot is not suppose to result.

At least not to my knowledge. Plenty of log cabins in the surrounding areas here. Not seen any log rotten here. But it could be and just not aware of it. May be that old saying, lost in the woods and can't see the trees applies...

If there is a wood covering material used on the outer surfaces, than it would have to be either totolly replaced or resurfaced.

Best places maybe to obtain the how to's is a local building materials yard. They sell to contractors whom do that sort of work, thus would have the materials needed and procedures used. May be worth a visit to building materials yards locally.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."