siding before windows?

Old 04-23-04, 05:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
siding before windows?

My home needs paint or siding worse then windows. The plywood siding is starting to delaminate in many areas. I know I will replace windows at some time, but cant afford it now.

If I install new cedar or vinyl siding now ,will I regret it when I can afford to replace windows? Will the siding need to be removed & replaced at that time also? Removing the siding is not a problem. But replacing again is.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 12:55 PM
Unless you plan on ripping the existing wood frames for you windows out,you could side it first without a problem.Most window renos are inserts that go into the existing frame then the frame is clad with aluminum.

Old 05-19-04, 10:24 PM
vmg_inc
Visiting Guest
Cool You have got...

You have got a couple of things to look out for... First things first... Sider is right, most and I did say most window replacements are made to just fit in the old window frame... But you should be careful on how and what you side your home in... Make sure that you won't have to tear out any or replace any wood structure when you redo your windows... In other words, when you get rid of the old siding, make sure you look for wood damage, termites, rot, etc. that could creep up on you when you redo your windows... Be especially careful to look around all of the windows when you pull your old siding off... And yes I recommend that you pull the old siding off as if you don't, it normally just creates problems for yourself or someone else later...

All in all, go ahead and reside your house, but just be careful that you check through everything before you install the new stuff...

Good Luck and I hope you have a great time & experience when you do your project...

Duane

Old 05-20-04, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys.

Iv torn out 3 window bucks down to the rough opening. Had them remade & installed them with pvc brick mold then reinstalled the repainted old 2 pane windows. Looks like brand new windows. One of them (oustside built in cantilever bay window) had rot under the sil. I tore off the siding & found rot down to the sil plate! Tore it all out, sprayed discolored wood with anti-freeze to kill the fungus & rebuilt with new lumber & covered with Typar. My home does not have siding over sheathing. The plywood siding IS the sheathing. So I will install vinyl siding over it after typar.

Mike

Old 05-20-04, 06:14 AM
I,ve never heard of putting anti freeze over discoloured wood

Old 05-20-04, 09:54 AM