vinyl siding question

Old 04-30-04, 04:33 PM
karolyn
Visiting Guest
vinyl siding question

This really isn't a do-it-yourselfer type question, but I have gotten excellent advice from this site in the past. I am considering having vinyl siding put on my house, but my boss told me that it will decrease it's market value. I tried painting it last year and it is already pealing in some areas. The house was built in the 40's and I really don't want to go through the sanding (lead exposure?) and painting again. Is it true that it will decrease it's value?
Are there types of siding that are better than others?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personal preference drives many matters in the housing market. Some see vinyl as a zero maintenance finish as with brick. Others prefer wood. Vinyl seems to be going on everything nowadays. Vinyl varies in quality as do many other products. The thicker, better quality vinyl is more expensive.

The key to successful painting is preparation. A good paint job should last 10 - 20 years before failure. Of course, you might want to paint to change color or freshen the look before then.

I see vinyl on all grades of houses from tract houses to quite expensive ones.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-04, 04:24 PM
karolyn
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the quick reply and yes, your answer did help! Now, I just have to mull over my options. Thanks!

Old 05-13-04, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When siding first came out,people were leary that it was just there to cover a multitude of sins.Now everyone wants maintenance free.There are better brands out there but the type of installation makes all the diference.Nothing looks worse than a poorly applied job.