House wraps?

Old 05-02-04, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House wraps?

In my area, some builders use house wraps (Tyvek, usually) where other's don't.

Can anyone tell me why some builders would use it and other's not? I like the idea of a house wrap, but I'm afraid that most builders don't install it correctly as I see homes with Tyvek sitting in the rain for weeks before the exterior walls are finished. It can't be good.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-04, 05:22 AM
These house wrapping products are moisture barriers. Time was there was tarpaper, now there are tyvek-style products. From what I have seen, exposure to the elements prior to covering them does not seem to affect them. They serve to seal the house tighter than otherwise.

Old 05-03-04, 12:34 PM
Now if a house was wet then got wrapped or even if water got behind the wrap, couldn't it cause a mold/rotting problem because not the water is sealed in?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I need it or not, or even if it's worth having if it can cause problems.

My builder doesn't use it and says it's not needed in my area as the home will still be EPA Energy Star certified, but it is an option that is available to me for a price.

Another builder that uses it told me every home should have it as it keeps the heat in. The only problem I have is that this builder doesn't build to Energy Star specs.