Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Woodgrained Steel vs aluminum fascia..Driftwood siding

Old 04-19-04, 06:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am having the house sided with steel siding. One contractor uses only woodgrained steel for fascia, stating that it is stronger and does not show imperfections like smooth. The other contractor uses smooth aluminum for the fascia. Does anyone have advice on this? Am also planning to use the steel woodgrained with verigated color siding (Cedarwood by Gentek/Revere or Driftwood by Gentek). Does anyone have advice on this?

Old 05-13-04, 12:44 PM
S
I would have to agree with the first guy and say the woodgrain steel would show less if any imperfections or oil canning.Take a look at other houses.

Old 05-13-04, 09:07 PM
C
oil canning
What is this?

Old 05-14-04, 04:07 AM
S
"Oil-canning" may not be the best way to describe the warps that thin sheet metal inevitably exhibits.

You would need memory of the old squeeze oil dispensers, perhaps you recall them from Wizard of Oz.

When I hear the term "oil-canning", I think of that distinctive noise when one pushes the oil can's bottom inward to expell oil.

Old 05-14-04, 08:06 AM
S
Thanks for the info. I have looked at a house, as you recommended. The woodgrained fascia with the woodgrained siding is a bit too much woodgraining for me. Have decided to go with the smooth fascia.

Thanks all for your comments/advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: