Wood trim

Old 05-07-04, 11:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood trim

I will be replacing my exterior wood window trim (about 2 1/2x3/4). I will paint the trim. What type of wood should I use to limit the number of knots? What is the best material to use to coat the knots to prevent bleed thru and cracking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-04, 04:54 PM
Since you're painting the trim, I would recommend poplar. It's knot free and paints very well. Make sure you prime it on all sides as you install it.

Old 05-25-04, 02:50 PM
chinobox
Visiting Guest
I am doing exactly the same thing to my house, I have all my lumber cut ready to go and here comes the problem.

I have stucco on my house, I don't know what the best way to tackle this would be, Should I use just galvanized nails?, I know that I have to drill thru the stucco first but this is just a guess, any pro info would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-25-04, 03:47 PM
If the trim is there now, it's probably attached (nailed?) directly to the house framing and the stucco was put on after the trim was up. If that's the case, just tear the old trim off and cut the new stuff to fit. When I did my front windows a few years ago, that's how I did it. I also ripped the trim a tad bit narrower so it would fit, then I caulked wnatever gap I had.