Gap between wood siding and foundation

Old 05-09-04, 08:15 AM
chahooa
Visiting Guest
Gap between wood siding and foundation

I have a 1920s bungalow, and in the bedroom, the edges of the original pine flooring are darkened and are abot 1/4" taller than the rest of the floor. It is only along one wall, and it looks like it was this way from absorbing moisture over time. I went outside to check it out, and there was a gap between the bottom board of wood siding and the concrete foundation blocks. The gap corresponds exactly to the place of the problem floor. What can I do to repair this gap and not seal in too much moisture? My buddy said if I caulk it will trap in too much moisture and I'll get mold in the walls. Is that the case? Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this irregularity is next to the exterior wall, why be so concerned about it? Is there no flashing under the edge of the siding?

I would caulk the outside. I doubt that the underside of an 80 year old house is tightly sealed enough to trap exisiting moisture in the wall. There is probably more moisture intruding from the changes in the outdoor weather, but it would fluctutate with the changes in the weather anyway. Your HVAC will probably dry it eventually.

If the wood is warped after all this time, you will likely not be able to change its condition.

Hope this helps.