smoothing an uneven exterior wood surface

Old 05-11-04, 11:14 AM
mcp
Visiting Guest
smoothing an uneven exterior wood surface

The gable above my garage door is a flat painted wood surface (presumably plywood) which has become rather uneven (40 years old). How can I get it back to looking smooth? It's a 15' long by 6' high triangle, so I don't plan on trying to use some sort of sander.

Is there anything, like an exterior Spackle, that can be applied over the existing paint? Or is there some other surface that I could install over the wood? If I were to do that, How would you hide the seams?

thanks,
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 11:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the paint flaking and failing, is the wood delaminating, is the wood warping or bending? What do you mean be uneven?

Old 05-11-04, 12:17 PM
mcp
Visiting Guest
It's not warping or bending. It's not paint flaking. It could just be areas where the paint had been chipped off or was removed by scraping prior to repainting, although it seems deeper (or thicker) than that in some sections. Multiply that by how many times it has been painted in 40 years. That's my best guess. Irregularly pitted would be my best descripition, althought it doesn't look like it's rotted.

I could take a photo tonight and send it to you, because I'm really not sure how to describe it better.

Old 05-11-04, 12:41 PM
mcp
Visiting Guest
From the exterior painting tips on this website:

"Sanded and rough sawn plywood will develop surface checks, especially when exposed to moisture and sunlight. These surface checks can lead to early paint failure with oil or alkyd paint systems. Plywood manufactured with a medium density paper overlay is frequently called MDO. Compared to standard rough sawn or smooth plywood, MDO holds paint well. MDO plywood is not always a stock item in many lumber yards, but it can usually be ordered."

That sounds like what I have. The house was built in the sixties, so there is oil or alkyd paint.

Any suggestion on how to fill the surface checks?

Old 05-11-04, 03:46 PM
Om the exterior, irregularities in the surface will do best if the surface is sanded smooth. There exterior grade spackles, if you want to fill and sand all these places. Decide which course of action to follow, provided that the paint is not failing. Filling may be the fastest. Then prime and paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-04, 05:54 AM
mcp
Visiting Guest
I'd probably fill it because the area is huge - I'd be sanding all day.

Is exterior spackle available at most home centers?

thanks again,
mike

Old 05-12-04, 07:36 PM
I have bought it at Lowe's.