Adding Wood Facia to Eaves

Old 05-22-04, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Wood Facia to Eaves

This house I recently bought does not have a wood facia around the eaves. It was removed due to termites I guess. Then they put up rain gutters but strapped them to the top of the roof. Looks pretty bad. I am going to put up new gutters before I paint but want the gutter affixed to the facia as it should be. Most of my neighbors have 2x8 facias.

My question is, should I and can I get pretreated wood for termites and if I can, will I need to prime over the treated wood before I paint.

Any other hints about putting up facia on eaves would be appreciated.

Thanks
SurfCityUSA
Huntington Beach, CA

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-04, 10:50 PM
If you don't want to wrap the facia in aluminum siding trim, I would definitely go with kiln-dried-after-treatment pressure-treated wood for the facia boards...more to prevent water damage than termites. Pressure-treated wood comes in most lumber sizes.
Yes, you need to prime p-t wood before painting it just like you do regular lumber.
The main issue with new non-kiln dried p-t wood is moisture content because it is "drip dried" at the manufacturing plant.
If it hasn't been kiln-dried-after-treatment (stamped KDAT), you're supposed to let it "dry out" over a period of time (months) before painting or staining.
Since you want to prime and paint it soon after installation in order to install the gutters properly, look for name-brand (such as Weyerhaeuser, etc.) KDAT p-t wood also stamped AWPB (for American Wood Preservers Bureau), which is the industry best. Most name-brand AWPB quality p-t wood has a 50-year limited warranty.
It costs a bit more, but you won't be replacing any of it in this lifetime.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-28-04, 05:31 AM
Also don,t forget that you will need a metal drip edge under the shingles so that the water won,t run between the fascia and back of gutters.

Old 05-30-04, 08:49 PM
Thank you both for the very informative replys. This is great advice. Although, I have a few more questions if I may.

1) I that drip metal drip edge available at Home Depot or Lowes or will I have to get it at a roofing materials supply?

2) What is the best way to splice the 2"x8"x16' facia boards? My neighbors with original construction (1966) have what looks like a piece of 2"x6" nailed up on the inside. I was thinking about using those galvanized strapping plates with the holes. Any other ideas on this?

3) Do I or if I want to use wood putty to fill in cracks and joints, is there a special kind for outdoors. I have not done too much outdoor remodeling yet.

Thanks again for the great advice.

SurfCityUSA
Huntington Beach, CA

Old 05-30-04, 09:01 PM
You should be able to get drip edge at lowes or HD.

Splice the boards by making a mitered joint over a rafter end. Caulk these cuts before nailing the second board in place.

Fill the nail holes and joints with exterior acrylic latex caulk. Prime with exterior latex primer such as Zinsser 123 and finish with the paint of you choice. Two coats are best.

Hope this helps.