What are these called?


Old 06-17-04, 09:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question What are these called?

Can anyone tell me what these are called? The triangluar pieces on the eaves of chalets where the beams protrude from the siding. I have them on my house and feel like a doofus for not knowing their correct name. Thanks for your time. Please see link for an image of what I'm talking about. http://www10.brinkster.com/morski/oval-pic-eaves.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-04, 06:59 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The link is blocked.
Old 02-21-05, 07:33 PM
tile guy
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

The angled pieces are simply called brackets and are from the Italianate Style of early American houses attempting to imitate the villas built in Italy.Due to the minimal overhang of the roof, I would say they are more ornamental than structural. The Beams "protruding from the siding" may also be ornamental, though without a closer look I could be wrong. Check the internet for additional info...look up Early American, Italianate style , and or victorian style.
Old 02-21-05, 09:10 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 23,811
Received 289 Votes on 263 Posts
I've always called them gussets. Many houses in my area are of the era where these were popular, and most are structural. On the houses I am thinking of, they usually support a wide 2x10 rough cut fascia, and usually span a 24" soffit. Barn swallows love them.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-21-05 at 09:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-21-05, 09:57 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gussets is probably more common for this type of application, but corbel is also applicable. And, there are probably other terms depending upon the era of architecture and application. The term brackets tends to be generic although both gussets and corbels serve as brackets. Forgive me for what they were called in medieval times, my old brain cells are not surfacing the word at this time. Thus, it must depend upon the period of architecture and the application. Perhaps someone else can jump start me. Cornice is another word that is popping into my mind. Perhaps there is someone who has some architectural experience here that can replace and renew my lost knowledge. My architecture books lie untouched upon the shelves along with many others.

If you had to ask me, a person in the kitchen business, I would call them corbels because from your photo they look just like what I use for countertop supports.

Language and terminology of architectural features is determined by the praiseworthiness of architectural features by critics within an era. If you do a historical study of architecture, you will find many disconnections in terminology when dealing with architectural features.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: