Brick 'Siding'

Old 06-29-04, 08:53 AM
slow95Z
Visiting Guest
Brick 'Siding'

I'm in an 18 year old Pulte Home in Algonquin Illinois. The original buyer 'upgraded' to a tudor front that has been nothing but trouble for me as later owner. Lots of painting and upkeep, but also some less then stellar build quality (none of the exposed trim horizontal wood pieces have any protective aluminium along the top which has led to major wood rotting, etc. I've since fixed that problem, but there remains others).

Much of the bottom 1/2 of the house, that isn't covered by trim or windows/doors, is covered by a '1/4 brick' material (bricks are about 3/8-1/2" deap) that is glued to the substrate and then normally tuckpointed with grout. Some of this brick is glued to plywood (on the front of the garage) - but other is glued to that old fibreous black panel material once used for external insulation. The problem is that in the past, water has gotten behind the bricks and expanded this black material and it has become quite loose. In addition I've grown tired of the maintenance issues with the rest of the front and just want to replace with siding. I have several questions however ......

1) Does anyone have any idea as to what the relatively small amount of brick adds to the front of the house? I have had estimates done in the past for refis and the brick was anotated but without specific value. I may just replace the whole front with siding and skip the brick.

2) If I want to replace the brick on the front of the house with another brick or rock - what type of matieral is recommended? Just go with the same type of 1/4 brick like material? What about some of these new 'no grouting required' bricks? They get nailed directly on to firing strips or something similiar. Currently - there really isn't a 'vapor wall' included in the design of the home behind the brick, the brick is purely asthetic, but the front has a southern exposure so it gets a LOT of rain, sun, etc. I did install an aluminium flashing at the top of the brick a while back that has stemmed the worst of the problem but given the ability of brick to allow water to penetrate (especially one that is only 1/2" think) I would think this would be an issue.

3) What should I use to back up the brick? Currently - there really isn't a 'vapor wall' included in the design of the home behind the brick, the brick is purely asthetic, but the front has a southern exposure so it gets a LOT of rain, sun, etc. (northern illinois) I did install an aluminium flashing at the top of the brick a while back that has stemmed the worst of the problem of the water getting behind the brick but given the ability of brick to allow water to penetrate (especially one that is only 1/2" think) I would think this would be an issue. A good external grade plywood is what I am thinking at least. What about going something like, from the existing studs, stud, vapor barrier, 1/2 solid foam aluminium backed insulation (metal out), then 1/4" exterior grade plywood, then glued to that - the brick. Obviously the problem with this approach is depth, I may have some problems around existing doors and windows if it gets too deep.

Any thoughts on the above or other issues and ideas would be helpful.

THNX
BRAD

Last edited by slow95Z; 06-29-04 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 11:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is information on installing cultured brick and stone products.

http://imgs.ebuild.com/xCat/ebuildWebA/15?ObjectID=4839

Hope this helps.