Cedar siding.

Old 07-02-04, 06:13 PM
Pal67
Visiting Guest
Question Cedar siding.

I recently purchased a house with cedar siding. It has the big panels , not the shakes or shingles. I was told by the guy I bought the house from that it needed to be treated yearly with a sealant? He said to only use a sealant from a paint store, such as Sherwin Williams.Called it CRW or something? Can you use a sealant such as Thompsons water seal on cedar? Also, does the siding need to be cleaned before you apply the sealant?
The siding is fading in some places,and turning black in some places. Im thinking it might need to be pressure washed before I apply the sealant.Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-04, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the black area the result of mildew? In an out of the way location, apply some bleach 25% in water to the black and see if it bleaches to a slight yellow color which rinses off with water. If so, it may be mildew.

Cleaning prior to sealing seems to be a good idea.

It may be prudent to use the same product as before. Check with Sherwin Williams to see what the product is. May be cheaper or easier to apply vertically than Thompson's Water Seal.

Old 07-03-04, 06:26 PM
Pal67
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I noticed on the same side of the house there is a green algae like substance growing on the roof. I will try the bleach. I am assuming that the panels that are fading are from the sun.

Old 07-04-04, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You've got algae, mildew, and uv fading and it positively needs cleaned before any stain or sealant. The preferrd cleaner/brightener for cedar is an oxalic acid wash. PW would be okay if the pressure used is not too strong on soft cedar- 40 degree tip and about 1000 psi.

An oil base penetrating stain would be best. Don't use the "T"!!!

fred

Old 07-04-04, 08:00 PM
Pal67
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. This is very helpful.