cedar siding repair

Old 07-22-04, 09:36 AM
dave519
Visiting Guest
cedar siding repair

I have a cedar sided sunroom (plank siding, not shingles). A few of the boards are cracked and several are slightly warped, but could easily be nailed back in place. The siding was originally installed with some sort of long staples, which show and are unsightly (side issue). What kind of nails would I use to reattach the siding withour splitting it? Also, it appears the siding is either stained or painted--really difficult to discern what was used. I would like to repaint/restain it and need some advice. Would it need a primer? Any suggestions on paint or stain (looking to go a light green shade). Does it matter what was there orginally? For example, paint over stain would be bad or vice versa.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-04, 07:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would recommend spiral ring siding nails for reattaching the siding.

If you cannot tell if it is paint or stain, it may well be opaque stain commonly used on siding. If the finish is mechanically sound, cleaning it with bleach 25% in water with a dash of Tide will clean the finished siding suitably for painting or stain with a opaque stain. If you plan to make a dramatic color change to paint, a coat of primer will give you more mileage for your paint dollar. The primer can be tinted toward the target color and is less expensive than paint and provides an optimum surface for the paint to bond.

Hope this helps.