Cost for vinyl soffit

Old 08-18-04, 08:53 AM
MrAceman
Visiting Guest
Cost for vinyl soffit

I have a few questions that I hope someone might be able to help me out with.

I run a small cleaning company that does basic residential and commerical cleaning. Pressure washing, windows, gutters... that kind of stuff. However, for some of my better customers, I also help them with odd jobs.

The other day one of my customers, an apartment complex, asked me if I could install vinyl soffit in balconies in some of their units. Since I usually try to help them out where I can I told him sure. I've done some soffit installation before, and these balconies are pretty straight forward.

I'm comfortable with performing the work, however I have no idea how to price it. So the questions I have are...

How do I price this out? What I've been trying to do (before I found this site ) was figure out how many pieces of soffit and J channel I will need per balcony and go from there. However, I'm not sure if that's the best way.

I'm also curious about what you all would recommend as far as purchasing the materials. Are most vendors pretty competitive, pricewise? All I'm looking for is a simple commercial vented vinyl soffit.

If anyone could offer any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 09:21 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Most vinyl siding/soffet is priced by the square foot. Expect to charge $200-300 per square.

Soffet prices are just like siding. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Old 08-28-04, 08:15 PM
L.M.S
Visiting Guest
Soffit in Porches

Sounds like Mr. House Dr. is trying to rape a few people on the siding that he is charging for.. If I were you I would ask a local Siding contractor on how much a Square foot soffit is going for that way you will be fair to your customer and also you can get the job by bidding it at a fair price.

Old 08-31-04, 06:51 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Sounds like Mr LMS is a typical uninsured no-worker's comp carrying contractor who forgets that to stay in business a company must make a profit. I highly doubt Mr LMS provides warranty service on his work since he only wants to charge material+labor rates without thinking of the overhead and profit motive of most successful contractors. Sounds like he's raping his customers in terms of quality and security being that his lack of insurance will require the homeowner's policy to cover any damage or injury that may occur while he is using his antiquated (though unreplaceable because of cashflow problems) equipment.

I suspect Mr LMS is the type of contractor who requires a substantial downpayment to obstentially cover his cost of material, yet most siding jobs are completed in a week. Would not one think that Mr LMS has relationships with his suppliers with payment terms at 30 days? Or does Mr LMS need the downpayment to cover his shortage on the last job? You think this doesn't happen? It happens all the time.

Please be careful in choosing a contractor and do not choose solely on price. This may well lead to a disaster.

Old 10-02-04, 03:54 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
i think there was a misunderstanding on l.m.s's part. 200-300 per square would =100 square feet. i charge at least 350 per square. a box a soffit panels =2 square, which would give you approximately 200 1 ft. pieces. i just scored a job which includes 200' of aluminum facia or rake and soffit. the total cost i sold it for is $2,250.00. the overhangs are no more than 1' wide which would equal about 2 square. the woman was tickled pink. i was well below all other estimates she got. and she is my good friends aunt. so L.M.S what have you to say about that. i think you dont know what you are talking about.

Old 10-02-04, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fight nice children. Instead of character assassination, how about just answering the questions directly.

Old 10-02-04, 08:24 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
fight?

no, i just did answer the question. so shut your mouth unless you have an answer to the question.

Old 10-03-04, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Soffit

Vinyl soffit in my area costs $1 per square foot. Add to that the cost of vinyl trim and nails and the price for materials still only works out to about $2 per square foot.

This equates to about $200 per square for materials.

If you charge $1 per square foot or $100 per square, this would be a very reasonable price to pay for the job and it could even be higher depending upon the height of the balconies, how easily they are to access (ie can you easily access with a stepladder? Do you need specialty scaffolding?)

So House Dr or woodpecker's assessment of price is in the right ballpark.

Old 10-29-04, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
lets get real here
vinyl siding is about 150=200 per sq.ft
depending if it a 1 story if higher then the price is more
for pump jack and swingstage.

come guys be real here

cheers

pg

Old 10-29-04, 08:56 PM
millieandme
Visiting Guest
help 8:))

My house is 1400 sq ft...I am getting medium grade soffit installed in all of the eaves around the house...At first, the guy wanted $3100...but i waited til after the hurricanes in florida and now he wants $3800..he said the cost of material went up 23%...first of all, does that price sound rite and second question is what part of this $3800 is material and what part is labor?Any ball park guess or advice where to find out will really be appreciated...I already paid the guy and he does good work but if i find i really gotten taken i will not use his services again...Thank You sooo much!

Old 10-30-04, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi mill
hers i just check with the big orange box and here was i got for you

"Matching Soffit for Vinyl Siding"

"[email protected]","Units","Material","Labor","Total"

"Matching Soffit for Vinyl Siding"

"SKU 480338, No. 3146-0800-81, White,"
SKU 480338, No. 3146-0800-81, White, Qty. 16, 12'L, Approx. 2" Sq.
"[email protected]","Units","Material","Labor", Total"
[email protected] 6.66Ea 129.00 163.00 292.00

this the price with labor for 2 square you need 3 292/2= 146.
so 292 = 146 = 438 total
so get other estimate please chek the orange box they have installler

cheers

cheers

Old 11-02-04, 01:13 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aceman:
It will be agreed by all that every job has it's special circumstances that influence estimate total. As a general rule when I bid a job for siding/soffit&fascia, If the area being covered would be a balcony, porch ceiling, somethiing other than "standard" soffit fascia under the eaves/rakes I will bid them out as I do siding by the sq. In our area starting price per/sq. including material and labor is right around $275/sq. for the basic material/job and goes all the way upto $600/sq if they get the top notch stuff with lots of inside/outside corners & multiple stories-this includes siding, fascia, and labor.

Bidding soffit alone generally goes $8-15/ft for material & labor for a standard single story ranch.

Alot of varibles to consider per application.