Question about composite siding boards

Old 09-09-04, 02:40 PM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Question about composite siding boards

I have a mobile home which is covered by a shingle roof with beams on the outside of the home holding the roof which covers the mobile home. My question is about trying to cover the mobile home inside with composite siding.
I have some areas around which I can use the standard panels but with regard to the long boards (I believe are 12 ft. long) Can I hang those to the beams (that are also 11 to 12 feet from each other) by just nailing or screwing them at each end, or do I have to at least have something framing in the middle??? The composite siding seems fairly rigid to the touch that's why I thought I might get away with just attaching beam to beam?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-04, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm a little confused.
Are you, as you say, covering the inside of your mobile home?
The structure you discribe as covering your mobile, is some times referred to as a "Ramada". Does it also act as a covered carport?
Are you intending to cover both outside surfaces of the "ramada" support posts?

Old 09-14-04, 04:33 PM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Ramada inn

Thanks, no carport. I have pictures if want. I would like to cover the ramada as you describe, but the posts are 11' from each other. I'm sure I would have to frame it out first? Maybe it would be better if I just made with the brick for siding instead?

Old 09-15-04, 05:55 PM
Well, lets see if I've got this.
You have ramada that you wish to cover with siding.
You'll have to provide some framing between the posts, say 2x4's at 24" oc. from the bottom of the header between the posts, down to a 2x4 held just above the ground.
You'll need to provide some support, say some blocking via treated lumber or concrete blocks every 4' or so, due to the accumulative weight of the siding.
Because of the mendatory requirements of egress and light and ventilation, you will also need to make provisions for the windows and doors to remain accessable and fully functional.

Old 09-16-04, 03:42 PM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
thanks

I see. I have to frame it out. The problem I see is that it is 12' high. Don't think the 2x4s go that high? I guess I would need a cross beam but it is 11' from post to post so that doesn't help either. This is such a mess I'm thinking of using interlocking blocks instead, although that would be a lot of blocks. Not sure still how to proceed as I know nothing about framing. I understand what you said about framing at the bottom but this is going to be a hard job as I have about 7 such areas around the house. I could send you a picture of one side to get a better idea?

Old 09-16-04, 05:09 PM
Set your bottom supports system then cut your verticle members to length and toe nail them using a ladder.

Old 09-17-04, 04:09 PM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I understood the grounding boards (needs two butted together I guess since it is 11 ft long) Not sure what you meant after that? Remember I don't know very much about this stuff

Old 09-17-04, 06:56 PM
You'll need to place verticle framing member at 24" oc. to attach the siding to, these need to be attached to the upper beam carrying your ramada roof structure.
You attach these to the beam by toe nailing.
Remember, you'll need to provide for the windows and doors. They must remain funtional.

Old 09-20-04, 09:28 AM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Thanks again.
Can you explain toe-nailing? I understand to use one on the ground and some vertical ones directly adjacent to the beams that are already there, but do I have to dig holes for those vertical members? Digging is a real chore up here on rock mountain, have to use a pick ax if you know what I mean.

Old 09-20-04, 09:50 PM
Please read back through the discussion, I don't recall mentioning digging.

Toe nailing-Take two peices of 2x4, lay one on its side with the 3.5" side up.
Stand the other one up on it verticly, making a "T". Nail the vertical 2x4 to the other board by starting nails an inch or so from the bottom and driving them in at a 60 degree angle.

Old 09-21-04, 11:41 AM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Thanks.
I think I get it a little better. You mean place the bottom base board then stand up the verticle board and place nails in diagnally on either side to hold it in place?
That will hold the verticle boards in strong enough toh to nail the composite siding to the verticle boards and the beams that are in place. So does that mean I should tuck the verticle boards underneath the horizontal beam to create flushness with the verticle beams that are already in place, or am I creating a frame that is on top of the existing beams?
This is really helping so far, I really appreciate it.

Old 09-21-04, 09:53 PM
The posts which are now supporting the beam that the roof structure rests upon have, as you said, some 10 to 12' of open space between them.
This is where you construct the 2x4 at 24" oc support structure for the siding and both ends of each 2x4 are where the toenailing happens.

With 16D, use 3 on each end.
With 8D, use 4.

Old 09-22-04, 10:53 AM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response...
Wondering still if the new 2x4s that i will cut to size for verticle studs should be inside the existing beams to make it "flush" with them or would I be basically creating a new frame attached to the outside of the beams? I'm thinking inside so I can use the beams also as studs?

Old 09-23-04, 12:11 AM
Yes, inside.

Old 09-23-04, 04:14 PM
notsohandydude
Visiting Guest
Thanks man, I'll try it. I found some 4x4 beams that match the beams that are there, Just have to cut them to fit inside the verticle beams that are there and to fit the cross beam that is there and the one I need to put on the ground. I found some composite siding for $2. Wondering how hard is it to cut those 4x4s?