cleaning old wood siding

Old 09-21-04, 07:53 PM
kgraves
Visiting Guest
cleaning old wood siding

My house is a nightmare to clean. Literally, it looks like Halloween all year. We live on the lake, so spiders love it here. There are cobwebs everywhere and all those white cottony nests, and some other little furry nests all around the eaves and windows. I sweep constantly but these things have to be vacuumed off or rubbed off and then wiped with a wet rag. We painted the house 2 years ago, but you'd never guess.
I would like to use a power washer, but I'm worried about water getting where it shouldn't. Is it okay to power wash around eves & windows? The house is 35 years old & the wood siding is original.
I'd appreciate any advice except - I don't want to move.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-04, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The spiders are there because of the insects that serve as food. One attractant is a porch light.

Power washing won't hurt the house. Don't spray up underneath the laps in the siding.

You might try an insecticide spray in the areas where the spiders hang out. It will need refeshing periodically.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-04, 09:59 PM
kgraves
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding. Are you aware of an insecticide that works on spiders? We had our house sprayed once & it didn't help. So we've been reluctant to try again.

Old 09-23-04, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a general look at spiders around the home and how to control them:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1033.html

Hope this helps.