Paint peeling on composite siding

Old 10-03-04, 02:06 PM
WingsFan31
Visiting Guest
Question Question regarding peeling paint on composite siding

The exterior of my house is in dire need of a new paintjob.

The siding is made of some sort of composite material with an artificial woodgrain appearance and the paint is flaking and peeling in a few spots.

How can you remove the flaking/peeling paint without damaging the surface of the siding? Due to the material, I'm afraid that a paint scraper would possibly gouge the surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by WingsFan31; 10-04-04 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
If the siding material looks like its made of cardboard (pick at it, is the stuff underneath a dark brown with fine little pieces) you don't have many options. Just do the best you can to remove the peeling parts and put a good coat of paint on top. I would use a good quality latex primer and top coat.

Do everything you can to keep the siding as dry as possible. Trim your trees and shrubs so you get good airflow around the house (to dry the siding). Make sure your gutters & downspouts are working properly.

Here's my guess as to the cause: It's an inexpensive material that I have never seen hold up well. Back when that type of siding was common, I don't think they installed proper vapor barriers in the walls. My guess is that the humidity from inside the house migrates out through the walls & siding and hits the paint (probably oil based) and stops. The moisture collects just under the paint and breaks down the top layer of the siding.

Old 10-09-04, 06:48 PM
WingsFan31
Visiting Guest
Yup, that's the stuff. Fortunately it's just peeling in a few spots.

If I were going to stay, I'd probably vinyl side it, but I'm planning to sell soon and just want to get it looking good, so I'll do what you suggested and just do the best I can to remove what I can of the flakes and get it covered with a fresh coat of paint.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 10-29-04, 06:41 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
if your planning to sell get it vinyl.
the next buyer will see that the house siding need painting.
People now days are looking for low maintenance.
you will get better selling if you have no maintance

cheers

pg