Utility Room / Siding

Old 10-23-04, 08:18 AM
CrAzYhOrSe
Visiting Guest
Utility Room / Siding

Not sure where this question should be posted. My utility room sit's on a slab (patio). The siding is masonite. It has a lot of water rot at the bottom, mainly due to not having any gutters on the house. When it rains, water sit's on the patio and is absorbed by the masonite and wood frame. Keep in mind here, I dont know anything at all about carpentry. So bare with me. The utility room frame work is in great shape, except for the wood that supports the frame of the utility room. That being the lumber that is laying flat on the slab. In fact only a few feet is really rotted. Rotted to the point you can crush it by stepping on it (from inside). The room is unfinished. Unfinished meaning, exposed frame. The rest of the support lumber is not in great shape, but still sturdy. Rather than taking the masonite off, I would like to cover it with fiber cement panels. Now, here's my question. Would the strength of the fiber cement siding along with the supporting lumber (some rotted some not) be enough to support the roof over the utility room. Nothing special about this roof. It's just an extention of the roof from the car port.

Or, can this rotted lumber supporting the frame be replaced, and how ?
I just dont want to pay for a new frame when there is nothing wrong with the one I already have. Help me with this eye sore and help me keep it inexpensive.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-04, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure where this question should be posted. My utility room sit's on a slab (patio). The siding is masonite. It has a lot of water rot at the bottom, mainly due to not having any gutters on the house. When it rains, water sit's on the patio and is absorbed by the masonite and wood frame.

>The siding should not reach the surface of the patio.

>The wood frame should not touch the patio.

Keep in mind here, I dont know anything at all about carpentry. So bare with me. The utility room frame work is in great shape, except for the wood that supports the frame of the utility room. That being the lumber that is laying flat on the slab. In fact only a few feet is really rotted. Rotted to the point you can crush it by stepping on it (from inside). The room is unfinished. Unfinished meaning, exposed frame. The rest of the support lumber is not in great shape, but still sturdy. Rather than taking the masonite off, I would like to cover it with fiber cement panels. Now, here's my question. Would the strength of the fiber cement siding along with the supporting lumber (some rotted some not) be enough to support the roof over the utility room. Nothing special about this roof. It's just an extention of the roof from the car port.

>The rotted wood needs to be replaced. Covering rotted wood leaves rotted wood.

Or, can this rotted lumber supporting the frame be replaced, and how ?

>Cut out or remove the rotted lumber and siding and replace it. You may need to provide temporary structural support to facilitate this.

I just dont want to pay for a new frame when there is nothing wrong with the one I already have. Help me with this eye sore and help me keep it inexpensive.

>The one you have is rotted, so there is something wrong with it. Installing gutters will help, too.