vinyl siding

Old 11-04-04, 10:04 AM
ker
Visiting Guest
vinyl siding

I am wanting to replace the vinyl siding on our house. From outside/in we have the vinyl siding, a 1/4" insulation with a shiny material over it, wood(overlaped siding) that is painted. Before we replace it, I have a few questions:
1- I plan on taking everything off except the wood siding. What should I put over this wood siding before I put up the vinyl. Would a type of house wrap be okay or should I use the blue folding boards.

2- If I tear down the siding, I there away I can protect the house till spring to do my siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
First, I would wait until you can do the job start to finish. You can do one wall at a time, but I would not rip everything off just to have it sit through the winter.

The 1/4" thick material with the shiney stuff serves the same purpose as the fan fold blue board. It does insulate, but it's main purpose is to smooth out the wall surface behind the vinyl siding, so if the old stuff is in good condition you probably do not have to replace it.

You should be able to use house wrap (breathable, not a vapor barrier) right on top of the foam backer board.

Old 11-11-04, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jim in nc

Q first - why are you replacing vinyl siding? Are you changing the color?
You can work on one side at a time unless you are replacing the corner boards (color change?) as they affect two sides. The previous answer was right on. You can put Tyvek over the 'shiney' boards. If you replace these shiney boards you must replace them with something to provide a flat surface (folding blue boards?). Good luck.