Tyvek and cedar shingles

Old 11-12-04, 09:50 AM
jhb
Visiting Guest
Tyvek and cedar shingles

Hi all. I was reading through these forums and came across an interesting point. At some point, I read that Tyvek house wrap should not be used directly under cedar shingle siding. Is this true?

In the thread it mentioned that DuPont knew this was a problem and invlidates the Tyvek warranty in this application.

I am in the process of adding 1k sq ft to my house and we are putting up red cedar siding. I would like to get clarification before I go to him with my concerns.

What are the facts that you all have about this problem, and if it's true about tyvek, where can I find a copy of the Tyvek warranty that states this invalidaion of the warranty. Its not too late to put up tar papaer, if that is what is called for.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tyvek

There is much info on the web about Tyvek. The Tyvek website is www.tyvek.com

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...n_question.htm

Tyvek can be used under any cladding including brick, stucco, vinyl, cedar siding, and stone. Proper installation under each cladding is essential to ensure Tyvek provides the maximum level of air infiltration resistance and bulk water holdout. Major concerns are the proper installation and flashing. Any manufacturer's warranty will be voided if installation and usage instructions are not followed.

It is recommended that the cedar siding be installed per manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations by wood siding associations, such as the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association, including priming all surfaces including the back and ends before installing. Additionally, the use of furring strips will help promote drainage of any incidental water that may penetrate the cedar cladding.