Need to find out how to seal for winter

Old 11-28-04, 01:18 AM
pbm777
Visiting Guest
Question Need to find out how to seal for winter

Being a hands on type of guy I recently took on siding my house with Hardiplank lap siding. After some serious set-backs [Replacing a broken rim joist, and breaking my leg] the 2nd not being job related I have come to the decision that I can not beat old man winter on the large side of my house. This side is about 40ft long and about 30ft high.
At the time I am posting this I am around 12ft high and all the way across. I have built a circus looking tent and have started caulking and painting the board so what I have up will be sealed. My question I am needing advice on what is the best way to seal my top plank to keep the water out from behind the siding as much as possible. Behind the board I up I have installed plywood with Tyvec house wrap. Right above where my siding stops the house still has the old foam insulation, I am going to try and remove and replace with plywood and tyvec. Hopefully some one has the knowledge to help my siding make it through the winter.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-04, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are you sealing? Painting the surface, caulking the seam between boards horizontally, caulking the seam where the siding boards butt together?

Old 11-28-04, 07:48 AM
pbm777
Visiting Guest
Question

I guess I am not real good at explaining this but where I live I was unable to get my hands on Hardi trim so I have to use wood, and this had to caulked and painted before it started to get too wet. I did how ever at the same time caulk where the lap siding meets at the trim and at the joints, and paint the siding I have installed. What I have noticed is that when it rains I have water pouring out between the planks which is causing the planks to lift in several places, which I am now going to have to face nail to get it to sit back down.
I figured it I could provide some type of [seal, flashing, ect] on the top plank I have installed it might help eliminate the problem I am having with the water running behind the siding and minimize the places I have to face nail it to get it to lay back down?

Old 11-28-04, 07:12 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
If i am reading this correctly you are 12 ' up a 30'wall is that right?And you wanting to stop where you are for the winter right?A nd you want to seal the edge where the siding stops right?If so then you will have to find something like an l-angle that you can nail from underneath and then seal from the top.You could get some vinyl j- channel and turn it upside down so that the nailing fin will be right on top of the last course of siding that you put on and the solid part of the cahnnel will create a cap, and nail that from the underside and then use silicone to seal the edge of the channel to the wall thus creating a ledge that will push the water away from the siding and the house.Does that sound like what you are needing?

Old 11-29-04, 02:22 AM
pbm777
Visiting Guest
yes that is what I was kind of thinking but I was not sure if it was realistic in working.I was planing on taring off the foam insulation thats all tore up and installing plywood and then sealing it by dropping tyvec down to 3 to 4" over the last board I put up. Then using some type of metal flashing and sealing it really good with 100% silicone. What do you think?
Sound realistic?
It gets to be a real pain crawling up and down a ladder in a cast.