Question about Siding Repair

Old 12-05-04, 04:00 PM
j-clement
Visiting Guest
Question about Siding Repair

I recently purchased a 30 year old house. I don't know anything about siding, but from what I've found online mine resembles examples that are called board-and-batten. In several places the edge (~1 inch) of the siding near the ground is cracked and rotted. The house inspector recommended repairing this by cutting off the narrow strip of problem area from the siding and replacing it with a board running along the base. I don't remember any specific details as my head was already overloaded with information at the time. I've searched online for additional information but I can't ever remember what this type of repair is called.

Any further advice or assistance with how to do this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-04, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt this repair has more of a name than just a repair. Water has destroyed the bottom edge of the siding. When you trim the bottom and add the strip, be sure to paint all the exposed edges before assembly to help prevent a recurrence of the same problem.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-04, 08:23 PM
j-clement
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply. Forgive me, but I am very ignorant when it comes to this? What type of board should I use? How wide?