Vinyl soffits

Old 12-06-04, 06:34 AM
LarryNY
Visiting Guest
Vinyl soffits

Hello All,

I am building an attached garage on my home and would like to know if I need o intall luan plywood under the soffits before I put on my Vinyl soffits. If so how many vents would need to be drilled in the boards before I out up the vinyl.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you shouldn't need to put plywood under(over) the soffit, as long as you have (or can put)something to nail to on both sides (house side and rafter tail side)

Old 12-08-04, 04:17 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No plywood needed, but depending on distance from fascia to house, usually anything over 24" needs some sort of brace in the middle for nailing to split the difference, otherwise the vinyl will tend to sag somewhat if lower quality brand/style is used.

All you need to install it is the J or F channel to nail to the house. The soffit wil slide into the J/F channel and that's what holds the "backside" up, then the end that attaches to the facsia can be stapled, screwed, nailed to hold it in place until you cap it. L-----J Looking left to right in my high tech rendering the L is the facsia and aluminum cap, the ----is the soffit and J is the J channel nailed/screwed to the house. Hope that helps LOL!!