Installing vinyl siding over existing wood siding?

Old 12-07-04, 05:47 PM
Herald199
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Installing vinyl siding over existing wood siding?

I thinking of adding new vinyl siding to my house. The house has existing wood siding on it presently and I would like to install new vinyl siding. There is some slight damage of the wood siding on one side of the house from termite damage that has been eradicated. The siding on the other 3 sides of the house is in excellent condition. A contractor stated that I should remove all the wood siding from the house, install 1/2 inch plywood, and then install new vinyl siding. Another contractor stated that I should nail treated 1 inch by 4 inch strip boards over the existing wood siding and then install the new vinyl siding over it. Which way would be the best way? Would insulation just in the interior walls be sufficent if I do the latter of the two suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-04, 04:05 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of wood siding do you have currently? Most siding applications if the existing wood is in good shape will just install 1/4" fan-fold polystyrene to get a flat surface to work with and go right over the wood siding. If your underlayment is fiber board the exterior wood siding is actually the structural part holding the walls in square since the fiber board has no structural ridigidy at all.

It's hard to say since every situtation is different, but sounds like their selling extra work/material that may not be needed.

Regardless, if your interior walls are not insulated, now is the perfect time to do this since the holes to blow in the insulation will be covered by the new siding.

The contractor wanting to install the 1x furring strips, I would push having them install 3/4" polystyrene (ridgid foam board) in between the furring strips for full support of the siding in between them.